rats!

Page 2 of 2
Steve J wrote:

In asking that question here you have clearly demonstrated that you are not afraid to think outside the box. There could well be psychics who read rec.gardens who know where you live, and who know what the law is there regarding the use of rat poison and freaking wives. Before you start looking up "wet work" in the yellow pages there is a solution that will save you from jail and bad karma.
Instead of buying poison or paying for professional control, try comfort your wife instead. You have to begin by getting yourself into the right head space. If you can manage it not thinking of her as a pest will help. This can all be done using natural ingredients and avoiding products (or members) of the military-industrial complex.
Start with dolphin-friendly chocolates and flowers. Then move on to biodynamic champagne, followed by scented green candles and a full body organic massage. Depending on how organic your massage is she may want treatment several times a week.
David

Sounds as if you've ploughed this furrow before ;O)
--
- Billy
Go with the snap traps! Poison works well but with one problem. That rat can crawl and die in a spot where you can't retrieve him. The smell is not very pleasant. At least with the trap, you can dispose of him properly.
EVP MAN wrote:

Snap traps are cruel... how you like being pegged to the ground to be eaten alive/starved to death... use live traps, and check them every day. Too many people exonerate themselves because they use live traps, but by the time the sicko morons check them all that's left is a skeleton.

The odor of dead animals occurs anyway (animals die all the time) but the poisoned animal incurs collateral damage by poisoning raptors, scavengers, and pets. I'm always amazed at how many of those who rail loudest about insecticides/chemferts, etc. are the biggest proponents of animal poisons.
In most cases if people practiced better sanitation habits they'd never have rodents making their homes in and around private residenses... it's difficult in cities because of population density and farmers with livestock will naturally attract rodents and folks living on large rural properties will have all manner of critters because that's the critter's natural habitat but folks who live in the typical detached private residence in a subdivision will attract rodents because one way or another they are feeding them. If there's a bird feeder it will attract rodents, if one is feeding a pet they will also be feeding rodents. It's pretty easy to block entry of large rodents like squirrels and rats but it's nearly impossible to bar mice. Anyone who feeds birds will also be feeding squirrels. Rats can't subsist long on seeds alone, they need meat, rats eat people food. I feed birds right outside my window, naturally I'm feeding squirrels too, but I've never seen a rat eating my bird food (mostly corn and sunflower seed). I've blocked all the places where squirrels can gain entry but occasionally a field mouse will be brazen enough to sneak in, it won't last long, I have six cats. The last time I knew there was a mouse was because I saw six cats surrounding the fridge... wasn't long before the mouse made a break for it, didn't get six inches before in one quick motion Mooch scooped it up and practically decapitated it, the mouse didn't suffer.
Here squirrels are entertainment:
http://i48.tinypic.com/eg22hx.jpg

Amazing! Now you're worried about rat suffering.
9 times out of 10, the trap snaps on the rats head or neck. All the rat will notice is a flash of light as it's brain is squished out of its ears and eye sockets.
Plus you can hear the thing go off so you can run over and stomp the rat if it's still wiggling.
If it was my problem, I'd eliminate the food and then worry about something else. I don't find rats outside to be a problem.
x-no-archive: yes
On 6/11/2010 2:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

I've never seen a live animal trapped in a snap trap. If it's baited properly, it snaps on their necks for a quick kill. More humane than any other method, probably.

Eeeesh.
It's not just the food; it's water and/or shelter, too.
Folks I know didn't see any rats until their car didn't start and they discovered the insulation chewed off the wiring in their cars, and a nest with baby rats in it there.
Plus, they gross me OUT.
Susan
Susan wrote:

I have. Broke it's neck but did not kill it. Big trap, bigger rat.
If it's baited

What about lethal injection? After all the appeals have been exhausted of course.

I'd like to see that!
Jeff

x-no-archive: yes
On 6/15/2010 6:13 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Better to use one of those execution style zapper boxes, then. Rats that big require bazookas.

You go first.
Susan

Gee, everyone here is complaining about the patch of blood I left on the basement floor.
Sorry I don't have pictures.
There wasn't much to see, first a mouse wiggling around, then my foot, then a slightly flatter mouse not wiggling and some blood and guts.
I once got a mouse with a hammer. No complaints from the mouse.
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

I've heard that when exterminators ask whether it is a mouse or a rat, most people don't know. But you can tell by the fear in their voice whether it is rats.
Post back when you kill a rat with your foot, I'd like to hear about it!
Jeff

When I was 7 I found a cute little mouse out on the front lawn. I captured it and carried it around in a matchbox. I really liked to crawl up my sleeves and under my shirt.
Eventually he got to live in a fish tank in our basement.
My family kept telling me it was a rat, not a mouse.
I kept saying it was too cute to be a rat.
I'm pretty sure if I step on it firmly and it's smaller than a cat I can kill it in one go.
Anyway, we have a shortage of rats where I am now. How about a chipmunk?
:)
I have been so ticked off with them everywhere that I have killed them with my fist. I have also used one of the larger Stanley tape measures. while we were painting there was a layer of clear plastic and they thought this was great cover.. bird cages are like a mouse catnip and they will crawl all over them quite unaware of nearby predators. I hate mice. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
EVP MAN wrote:

free fertilizer or raccoon food!
songbird
On 6/10/2010 5:04 AM, Steve J wrote: