Question aboutmixture for killing japanese bettles

Page 1 of 2
A guy was telling me to use a mixture of Seven concentrate and Dawn liquid dish soap with water in my sprayer. He said this would take care of the problem if I sprayed every couple of days, and to start spraying on Mother's Day. Do any of you know anything about using this mixture, and does it work? If I go ahead and try it I want to make sure that my fruit trees flowers are done being pollinated. I would be very interested in your opinions. Thanks for your help.
__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4035 (20090425) __________
http://www.eset.com

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRidF74
Great gardener, great author, but he sure did use a lot of chemicals on his crops.
Have you checked for any organic methods that may help your situation?

I don't see the point in mixing soap with Sevin. And be careful with household cleaners, many dishwashing liquids are detergents, not soaps. The preemergent soap will do nothing to control Japanee beetles, the beetles are in the ground, as grubs. And Sevin works well in killing the beetles but there's no point in applying it before the beetles arrive. Don't get all panicky when you first see the beetles eating holes in leaves, Sevin works rapidly and those damaged leaves won't hurt the plant, it'll just look unsightly for a week or two until new leaves grow. Japanse beetles love my lindens and sycamores so I spray those with Sevin... a second application a few days later does the job... the beetles emerge to feed and mate and are entirely gone in ten days even if you do nothing. If you read the label carefully and follow the directions exactly as stated then there is no problem with using Sevin, do not mix the concentrate stronger than stated... mix it a little weaker and it will still work just fine. I've tried the Japanese beetle traps but those are just an exercise in futility... they will lure only a tiny percentage of the beetle population... the local golf courses near here use them because they'd rather remain open for business and they don't want to deal with being sued, they have much too much area to spray, and they know that in ten days the beetles will be gone anyway... the traps when stratigically placed, and plenty are used, they will lure the beetles from the tees and picnic areas... but they kill only a very small percentage... so what if they kill thousands when there are millions and millions.

don't be tempted to "double the strength to kill twice the number" if you resort to using Sevin. a DROP of Dawn detergent works fine in the diluted solution. makes it stick. don't use a lot, because it will burn your plants. I, myself use the highly satisfying method of hand hover, drop into jar of soapy water and drown, I walk to where they're munching away, with a wide mouth quart mason or ball canning jar (wide mouth mayonaise works well, just wash it out first) half filled with soapy water. When you walk to them, walk quietly, hold the jar underneath them (they tend to cluster pluck in great wads of fornication sometimes....their sole purpose is to eat and reproduce as quickly as possible) and place the jar underneath them, hover your hand over them and they think they can fool you.......they drop down and try to fly sideways. This captures about 80% of them and I have the satisfaction of seeing them in the soapy water as I move from area to area gathering more. when your jar is full, you will have to off them, make more soapy water and do it again. I also discovered that in spite of the fact that four o'clocks (mirabelis) are toxic to them, they'll eat the leaves anyway, and it upsets their digestion and kills them. So I gathered them anyway off the 4 o'clock plants as well and offed them too. highly satisfactory!
if you don't have the patience or time to do this Zen like eradication (it's much less harmful to the surrounding environment, and I don't like using the now over used term GREEN...........it's not putting harmful chemicals into the ground to wash down to add to the already toxic solutions that are now drastically affecting our critters. I still haven't found out if we have a bird or small munching animal that loves to eat the beetles or the grub larval. which by the way, you CAN spread Bt on your lawn to eliminate the larval grub of the Jap. beetle. one of the things that brings the hordes of decending skunk to nightly forages is an abundant amount of beetle grubs. they feast on grubs and worms.
living in the inner town where I do, I've not encountered a skunk as of yet, and don't see the usual possom's either, but suspect the local gardeners here are the ones who like to spray without concerns to the ground waters. I can't change the world, I can only maintain my little piece of magic.
my opinions are strictly my own, but my methods are self proven by me over the course of quite a long time.......
madgardener up in the green bowl, gardening in containers in upper northeastern Tennessee, zone 7a, Sunset zone 36

============ Why do you have to walk quietly... if all I gotta do to get rid of beetles is stomp about I'd save a lot of effort... I'm usually cussing the little bastids when I have to drag my heavy sprayer and step ladder tree to tree in the heat of summer and never yet saw a beetle fly off the back of the one they're humping. hehe With all those details you added about different kinds of jars etc. to your verbose trilogy I don't believe a word you wrote... you've never seen a Japanese beetle up close and personal... you're paraphrasing something you read.
[...]

I thank you for your replies. Several of you have suggested picking them off by hand. This would be impossible for me to do since I have 8 fruit trees, 3 grape vines and a garden to boot. Even if it were possible to pick off I would fill up a 50 gallon barrel and would be spending several nights and days to do it and the next day the bugs would be right back at it. Some of the environmentalists wackcos out there criticize me for using chemicals. They don't seem to understand any person with half a brain would use insecticides in a responsibly manner. Oh I almost forgot it's BUSH's fault that I get these beetles. Why not blame it on him, they blame everything else on him. Thanks again.
__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4035 (20090425) __________
http://www.eset.com

Milky Spore. Goggle it.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

Does that work immediately? That's probably what he wants at the moment.

Immediate gratification sounds childish to me. Why not think of ...forget it.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

OK. But does it work immediately, or does it just mess with the next generation of beetles, or something like that?

I'm going to switch sides here and say that perhaps you've never seen pole beans skeletonized in 24 hours by Japanese beetles. Thousands of them. They did the same to my grapes two years ago, but those were on the way out anyway due to deer snacking. I was fortunate enough to have a couple of gallons of hideous onion-hot pepper broth that I'd made. That whacked the beetles nicely, but it was too late for the beans anyway. They never recovered. If I hadn't been away when they began their work, I might've stopped the assault in time. Oh well.

I wish I had the space to plant extras, but it's not an option here. The only place I could put extra beans would be outside the fence. They'd last about 5 minutes due to the deer.

http://homeharvest.com/milkyspore.htm Milky Spore Powder Japanese Beetle and Grub Control St. Gabriel Laboratories' Milky Spore is a naturally occurring host specific bacterium (Bacillus popillae-Dutky). This product is lethal to a familiar destructive summer-time pest. It targets and discriminately works to attack the white grubs of Japanese Beetles.
The adult beetle feeds on fruits, flowers, shrubs, garden plants and the foliage of some field crops. At the immature beetle stage, the grub enjoys feeding on the roots of grass and other vegetation to include stems of plants.
Turf inoculation treatments / applications with MILKY SPORE puts in place an on-guard protective blanket on your lawn.Considered the weakest link in the chain and the most vulnerable point to introduce an infection, resident spores in treated turf are swallowed by grubs during their normal pattern of feeding; this starts the demise of healthy grubs. Milky Spore disease then begins to cripple the grub, and within the next 7-21 days will eventually die. As the grub decomposes, it releases billions of new spores.
Milky Spore IS NOT harmful to beneficial insects, birds, bees, pets or man. The product is approved and registered with EPA, Milky Spore will not affect wells, ponds or streams.
The ideal way to combat area infestation is through organized community efforts. Large areas treated with Milky Spore can result in long term control.
Condolences to Kate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbaryl Carbaryl is a cholinesterase inhibitor and is toxic to humans. It is classified as a likely human carcinogen by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA.)[1] It kills various beneficial insect and crustacean species along with intended pest victims, so care must be taken when spraying where beneficial nontarget species are present. Carbaryl is acutely toxic to HONEYBEES (HELLO!), destroying colonies of bees foraging in an area where the chemical has been applied.
But it is made by Bayer, so how bad could it be? VERY.
So this idiot found himself in a position of under-think and now that he is in a hurry, it is "collateral damage" time. That used to be a bad phrase back in the day of Timothy McVeigh.
How very very bush of you.
--

- Billy

Why do you hate our troops, you non-patriot?

you can get, Joe. Get them out of that meat grinder. Everyday that we are there just makes things worse.
You doin' tackin' practice on elm stumps now Joe?
What's the etiology of this particular epiphany . . . or have you just gone and lost your mind?
Funny thing, I was signing up on-line with my medical provider yesterday and they asked me some personal questions that they had no reason to know. They see you when your sleeping, they see you when your awake, they see if you've been good or bad, So be good for goodnss sake.
http://www.projectcensored.org/top-stories/articles/2-bush-moves-toward-m artial-law/ The massive Defense Authorization Act of 2007 grants the Pentagon $532.8 billion to include implementation of the new law which furthermore facilitates militarized police round-ups of protesters, so-called illegal aliens, potential terrorists, and other undesirables for detention in facilities already contracted and under construction, (see Censored 2007, Story #14) and transferring from the Pentagon to local police units the latest technology and weaponry designed to suppress dissent.
Of course the fact that 90% of the news we get comes from about a dozen corporations, and the people who sit on their boards include some of the same people who sit on the boards of Northrup, Boeing, Halliburton, and Bechtel might make some reasonable men suspicious.
But this isn't the place for that, we are here to help some nut-case kill the bees in his neighborhood.
--

- Billy

Chill out. I know a few morons who think that if you say things like "But it is made by Bayer, so how bad could it be?", you distrust corporations, which means you're un-American, and we all know that if you don't toe the party line, you also hate the troops.
I was razzin' you.

Oh, that's alright, Joe. Turns out I wanted to tell somebody about my experience with Kaiser Permanente. You'd think a hospital would be cutting corners to save money but they got money to burn on buying access to "public records"(whatever that is supposed to mean). I mean I'm nobody, and they feel that they have to know everything about me? What's up with that? Admiral Poindexter may be gone but his snooping on Americans goes on.
Now get your helmet on, and get back in the game ;O)
--

- Billy

and gage you at about 1/128th of a brain.

Tennessee, that says: fool me once, shame on.....shame on you, fool me, you cant get fooled again!". - Shrub
--

- Billy

first off, the ONLY reason I walked quietly in MY gardens over in the former Faerie Holler where I gardened successfully for well over thirteen years, was when the little bastages sensed or saw me coming, they'd fly off, first by dropping down and then flying sideways. I started walking towards where they were clustered quietly so as not to alert them. That was the only reason. It was also something that allowed me to have a more quiet time out in my nine raised gardens that spanned quite a bit of cubic foot. the front southern bed alone was 50 foot long and four foot wide with extensions to each corner that made MORE beds. I raised four o'clocks that grew in tuber size to larger than footballs. I know THIS because my husband, James bent my new Fiskars spade which is a solid metal shaft on a fiber glass handle trying to dig me a tuber up to take when I lost my house last April. The TOP of the tuber was about ten inches across and the summer previous the plants themselves that I didn't pull out when I saw them emerging (to not crowd the hundreds of perennials and other bulbs and plants and small blooming shrubs) grew to past the front gutters. About six feet or more. I had three kinds of 4's. The old fashioned magenta ones, and yellow splashed with red, and a solid lemon yellow one.
As for " With all those details you added about different

It's your choice to believe me or not. I know what I spoke to you about, because I have practiced exactly the very thing I said to you. the various kinds of containers? I use what is handy. A wide mouth jar works best for capturing many at a time. And knowing that you have TREES means you CAN'T just pick them off. I only meant on things closer to your hand reach. To hand pick them would drive you bugnuts.........and be impossible.
As for not seeing a Japanese beetle up close and personal, you're wrong. They come earlier than June bugs (which in Tennessee for whatever reason seem to come in the first part of JULY) and are the same color in body and wings as their larger beetles, but much smaller. THey are irredescent green and blueish. They have black legs, and I don't need to PROVE to you that I have had many years of encounters with them. I wrote about my personal experience with them on this newsgroup years ago, and started to calling them the decending hordes of Japs......research this if you doubt me. Or ask Victoria, or Billy, or Gardengal, or anyone else who knows of me and my writings and rambles. I tend to write like I talk............and talk like I write. and if I DO paraphrase something I've read, or researched specifically to answer a gardening question that I'm not 100% sure of, I make damn sure I say that I am quoting something written by someone else. I am a master gardener from UT in Knoxville, but I don't wear it like a badge, because I am still learning. I will continue to learn about gardening and bugs and pests and beneficials and everything horticultural until the day I am myself composting.
I have given you the benefit of my experience and age (56 isn't old for a tree, just old enough if I were a walnut to produce nuts.....LOL) and if you doubt me, it's your perogative. I wish you all the luck in erradicating your Japs.
madgardener gardening in containers in the green bowl in upper Northeastern Tennessee, zone 7a, Sunset zone 36 until I have my own home again one day.

So if you kill all the local bees after they finish with your trees, your good with that?
We have a name for people like that.
--

- Billy