question about starting seeds nad lighting...

hi- now that the basement is somewhat cleaned and cleared up, i thought it might be neat to start some perennials and veggies--my question--on a budget, what do i need for a lighting and warmth system??? ive got a great handyman of a hubby in my corner<grin>, so' i'd like to look like i have a clue when i "suggest"....
also..what are some fairly easy perennials to start with? i'm hoping coneflowers on the list.....
betsey betsey "we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"
A heating pad, trays and seed starter pots, 4' fluorescent lights... all available at a good gardening shop. Should run you about $100-$150.