Ponds & Mosquitoes

I'm really just curious. I've often wondered how people (usually people with lots of money) who have large plots of land with large ponds (or tiny lakes) control mosquitoes. I guess I'm a bit of a pessimist, because whenever I think about the possibility of having a large pond on my property (after I win the lotto and buy a ranch) I think the number of mosquitoes would make it very unpleasant.

So what do they use to control mosquitoes? Fish? Giant mosquito "dunks"??!!

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Carolyn LeCrone

Reply to
Phisherman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Fish are the best control, you won't find many mosquitos at all in water inhabited by fish. You will find fat happy fish just waiting for the next flush of mosquito larvae to appear. In waters with no fish at all BT is usually broadcast as granules on the water surface.

Reply to
Beecrofter

A pond that has fish is not a problem in regards to mosquitos, but more of a large mosquito killer. Fish all eat them and their larvae.. Unless you have extremely shallow sides that can't accomodate a fish then perhaps. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Many communities have Health Dept's that will give pond owners free mosquito-eating fish. Here in San Diego, the Health Dept. delivered about a half-dozen gambuzia (sp.) to me when I told them I built a new pond.

The little guys multiply like crazy & will feed on mosquito larvae, thus keeping a pond relatively free of these pests.

Reply to
Jimmy G

"> In waters with no fish at all BT is usually broadcast as granules on

What??? Bt does not harm fish.......Its a BI..........Been using it for years...Bt is a bacterium that causes disease in some insects (mainly mosquitoes), but does not harm other animals or plants...OP's and CB's are the ones to look out for...Check your chems in the dunks you buy....Bt is the good guy...If it has Carbofuran in it, that's a no-no.......Pyrethroids are a no also..They are absorbed into bottom muds & silts and produce fish kills in, obviously, bottom feeders...OP's can bioconcentrate in aquatic life and pose a hazard to their predators as well....

Reply to
KCnRichmond

My pond is only about 700 gallons and I use goldfish, if I had a larger pond I would have it stocked with native fish and let nature take it's course from there. If your willing to do a little research on the installation of a pond they aren't as expensive as you think... it's the installation that's going to cost you. I buy my plants on ebay, I collect rocks where ever I go and I bought few feeder goldfish that grow into lovely large fish in a couple short years. My current pond is totally natural, I'm not even running a filter or any type of pump... I'm using plants and a low fish count to keep the water healthy. My largest expense was the $100 liner I picked up as a remnant. Colleen Zone 5 CT

Reply to
GrampysGurl

Even in the shallowest of areas a minnow can usually get in, my goldfish will go almost anywhere to get something they really like to eat like larvae and worms... those guys are pigs.... I normally don't feed them, they are on their own out there... mean fishy mommy lol. Colleen Zone 5 CT

Reply to
GrampysGurl