poinsetta

Dear Listers, we received a beautiful, large white poinsetta for christmas and it still looks great. we live in zone 5, ontario. What can we do to save the plant for next christmas again? Thanks anton

quite drastically in the spring and put it outside on my deck. I fertilize it regularly and bring it in before the first frost in the fall. In Oct. I put it in a dark closet for 12-14 hrs. each night and it has bloomed for me every Christmas. I also make a new plant every year for a family member with the branches that I have pruned in the spring. I just stick them in the dirt in a new pot and put them on my deck in the spring & summer. I am in Zone 5 also. Good Luck! Sue in Mid-Mi. (zone 5)
Sue, Thanks for the advice about saving the poinsetta. we will give it a try. anton
says...

to rebloom, but I don't think it's worth the effort. I bought a beautiful red one before Christmas that is still as nice or nicer than it was when I purchased it. When I get totally sick of caring for it around March 1, it will join other discards in the compost pile. It's a challenge and kind of fun to get the plant to rebloom once or twice, but the purchase price is ordinarily too cheap to continue the effort.
John