Plum tree shoots growing like crazy

We have a large plum tree in the middle of our front garden. Its shoots are growing up out of the ground all over the place within a 15 foot radius. They emerge out of the ground in the garden and also the lawn. I try to dig them up with a shovel but it is a never ending struggle. Any ideas on how I might be able to stop their growth? Thanks.
I just mow then off.
Dwayne

Dwayne wrote:

That works ok on the lawn but it's the ones in the garden that are really hard to get rid of.
Dig them up, if the plums are good eating, and give them to the neighbors to plant. Better yet, have them come over and dig them up under your supervision.
Dwayne

Dwayne wrote:

Not the advice you're looking for, but a post office near me has a plum tree that does the same thing and they've landscaped it so the shoots becames shrubs. It's really pretty.
Kate