Plse identify this tree....

I am in Texas, and there is a tree here that is not very common, but there are some around. It is an evergreen, but nothing like a pine, they are sort of like a 50-80 ft. tall bush. It doesn't have conventional "leaves". It has the finest, most feathery foliage of any tree I have ever seen... it's like feathery stalks, and the foliage extends almost down to ground level. Reminds you of a Peacocks' plume, the way the stalks of foliage grow. The foliage is always a dark green. You see these trees growing in rows a lot as a windbreak. The tree grows very tall, but doesn't have a wide canopy. They create very dense shade. I think they like water, as I see them often growing on the edge of ponds (no, it is not Cypress!) I thought it was called Cottonwood, but then I found an actual Cottonwood pic on-line and it is nothing like a Cottonwood tree. I would like to get some for my back fence, but I don't know what to ask for. Any idea what it is?

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

I should add that they are non-flowering, and the trunk and branches grow almost completely straight/vertically.

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Reply to
Brian

Leyland Cypress? Cupressocyparis leylandii.

Reply to
Elizabeth

Tamarisk comes to mind.

did an image search on Google, I can't say that I have ever seen it growing like those pictures.

Reply to
Charles

Its neither of those. It does not have even close to a Christmas tree shape as the Leyland Cypress has, and it is a true tree, growing very tall, unlike tamarisk....and tamarisk has pink flowers which this tree does not have. I have not ever noticed any blossoms on them, but then evergreens don't "blossom" with flowers as deciduous trees do, do they? They usually are somewhat narrower at the base of the tree than at the top, and you can't walk under them, as there is not a single main trunk going up for several feet before branching out. In that sense it resembles a shrub...but an evergreen shrub that is up to 80 ft. tall. I will try to get a picture of one soon and post on my "blog" page, then it will be easy for someone to identify.

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Reply to
<bluesalyxx

Just lucky? It is in English on my machine.

Reply to
Charles