Plants and Fire Good read

NYT provide a interesting view of fire and plant life.
<http://judson.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/07/on-fire/
Sort of reminded me of some national parks letting fires burn here in USA.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

On 7/8/09 9:52 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com, "Bill who putters"

When we were in Yosemite 20+ years ago, the rangers said the only way for the sequoia cones to release their seed was to be burned.

I'm of the opinion that where people build homes, they need to allow for natural burning and consequential wind when maintaining a fire break as well. A small footprint of land for this is not feasible, the owner has to have a large enough plot to do this. Hillside acreage, its even more important. And, I'm of the opinion its the homeowner's responsibility to maintain such a firebreak, not the local or state government in the case of a fire approaching said property.
--
Dave