Plant recommendations redux

D'oh! I left out the most important info from my previous post-I am in zone 6 (pittsburgh pa to be precise). One person suggested that I dont rule out the less invasive/less 'weedy" morning glories but didnt mention which ones those were! So, I'd still love imput (esp now that you know the zone) and would also like to know which morning glories are well behaved! thanks!

MICK

Howdy all!

I am making plans for the summer ( arent we all??!?) and would love some imput from the list. My front "yard" is 10' wide by 6' deep with the typical city sidewalk and then the street. The front of the house gets direct sunlight ALL afternoon long in the summer and is not terribly hospitable to many plants. I have the area planted heavily in Zinnias (they love the climate) but I;d like some vining plants to go up the porch posts. I;ve tried scarlet runner beans, hyacinth bean and the previous owner even tried a clamatis but the hot dry area isnt the ideal climate for any of them. I would almost plant morning glories there just to screen the porch a bit but I am not that nuts! SO- any suggestions on fast growing, non invasive vining plants that do well in dry, rather harsh conditions that could grow on a trellis to form a screen?

Any ideas would be great ! THANKS!!!

MICK

Reply to
Mick709

Morning glory is a common name applied to an entire plant family and at least three different genera of vining plants. Convolvulus arvensis and Calystegia sepium, both also referred to as bindweed, are highly invasive and difficult to eradicate and control. Most of the plants of the genus Ipomoea are well-behaved garden annuals or perennials. Look for Ipomoea tricolor, I. alba (also called moonflower), I. nils, I. coccinea (cardinal vine) or I. lobata (spanish Flag). Easy to grow from seeds in hot summer areas.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Mount Fuji