Plant recommendations needed

Howdy all!

I am making plans for the summer ( arent we all??!?) and would love some imput from the list. My front "yard" is 10' wide by 6' deep with the typical city sidewalk and then the street. The front of the house gets direct sunlight ALL afternoon long in the summer and is not terribly hospitable to many plants. I have the area planted heavily in Zinnias (they love the climate) but I;d like some vining plants to go up the porch posts. I;ve tried scarlet runner beans, hyacinth bean and the previous owner even tried a clamatis but the hot dry area isnt the ideal climate for any of them. I would almost plant morning glories there just to screen the porch a bit but I am not that nuts! SO- any suggestions on fast growing, non invasive vining plants that do well in dry, rather harsh conditions that could grow on a trellis to form a screen?

Any ideas would be great ! THANKS!!!

MICK

Reply to
Mick709

Thats your YARD?!

That's my compost heap!!!

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

What is your location?

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Need a bit more information, like location and climate zone, before one can make many suggestions.

You indicate the area is dry - is soil amending and irrigation possible? Nearly any plant will benefit from improved soil and all will need regular irrigation to become established.

Annual vines are a good idea - all like lots of sun and grow rapidly to provide fast coverage, but that means the trellis will be bare in winter. The beans should have done very well in this location - I would assume their failure to perform well is due to lack of water. Monrning glories should not be ruled out. Many are very well behaved garden vines with only a few being invasive, weedy pests.

Wisteria is quite drought tolerant once established. Hop vines are fast perennials that will return each year, but their 'flowers' are not very showy. Grapes might be a good choice - there are both ornamental and fruiting kinds, some very hardy and they would appreciate that type of exposure. Climbing roses love sun, but will need good soil and regular watering.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Reply to