Plant ID Plz - 2 Kinds

Was inspired to search around for hanging basket plants from another post and wanted to get an ID on the following.

in advance!

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Page hangs at "Waiting for

".

of the blooms (and, either makes a great basket).

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Hanging page does not ID plants on it... That's why I asked.. ;)

Thanks.. :)

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

No idea. Sorry. =/

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I may be way wrong, but it looks like an iceplant to me. I haven't seen one grown as a hanging basket plant, but I don't know why it couldn't be done.

Reply to
Charles

Those are so pretty. That open air place with the hanging plants looks so nice. I suppose you have to use a long wand to water them. They have petunias in hanging planters downtown all over, and I was wondering how they kept them looking so nice & how they water them. They never seem to get ratty leaves, and I noticed one place near here has some beautiful purple-veined ones that trail over a wall. They bloomed all summer and never got ratty looking.

My petunias in a pot were pretty, then the leaves got so ratty looking even though I cut them back and they kept blooming in spite of it.

I thought those ones could be million bells petunias, but I think the other poster was probably correct that they are some small type of morning glory. I might try some ice plant if that is what the first picture is. I like it and the way it trails.

Reply to
Hettie®

From the looks of it and after checking a pile of sites to verify, it does seem to be an ice plant which more often than not is used as ground cover.

Reminds me of my star stonecrop which I grow in a pot.. Looks great trailing down the edge of the pot. ;)

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

I *think* I saw some seeds for ice plant in T&M catalog, will have to check the specifics on that. Here I thought it might be some exotic strain of trailing portulaca :-)

Star stonecrop? I've never heard of that.

Reply to
Hettie®

Whoops.. Star Sedum, aka Stringy Stonecrop.. See, this is why it's best to use proper names.. (goes to find out proper name)

Sedum sarmentosum

Doesn't flower long though and it's tiny. But does look good hanging, just not much height mass.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Thanks for the explanation. For all I knew, you were growing stones in your pots like I had to resort to in mine to keep the chipmunks out :-). Except somehow I thought maybe you got yours to trail and were pulling my leg. Ridiculous, I know. I'll see if I can find something about that one. Am kind of on overload with seeds, roses & perennial plants I want to try, have next year pretty well mapped out, if I only get half of what I've got going, I'll be doing well. Plus I have to allow for failures.

I was having good luck with iresine trailing, grows very fast and long to the point you have to cut it back depending, but wasn't as pretty the second year in a window box with pink geraniums, grew well enough, but something wasn't as nice about it, texture and color. Roots easily in water, had pots and pots of it, ended up giving much of it away. Anyway I fed them some Osmocote and never saw such huge geraniums. I had to cut the iresine back because it touches the ground, so maybe I'll come across something I like better, not lobelia, 2 windowboxes are going to be dedicated to only that, blue and white mixed. I recommend the iresine for dappled shade, but it doesn't take kindly to too much sun.

The iresine roots like crazy in water if you want more. The first year, when the afternoon sun hit it, it was pretty bright red towards autumn. It starts out green. I'm open to something else, it's only two years but think I might replant that box before I set it out next spring.

Ever notice how something looks good in a photo or where somebody else is growing it, you try it, it sometimes doesn't look so good if it grows at all?

Reply to
Hettie®

Well with a little work I'm sure I can get rocks to trail. In fact if I'm bored one day I just might do that to see how it looks.. ;)

Know the overloaded feeling.. Since we moved and have so much more space now, all kinds of things are popping into my head that I'd like to try.

One section of roof on the house over an addition is flat, so I'm even thinking of bordering it with planter boxes all around the edge.. Who knows.. Maybe later. Sometime..

Think I've got some of that in a hanging basket that we brought in to over winter. Could be wrong, forget the name.. Frost ended up nipping the bulk of the growth but it'll spring back without issue.. Already putting on new growth inside. Has a lovely burgundy color.

Yup.. Grows like a weed and is easy to make new starts.. I don't even bother with water and just put it in the dirt.. Same with the sedum I mentioned. All you need to do with it is put it in the dirt in a nice sunny area and it will thrive with no attention.

No? ;) I had noticed that if iresine (if that is what I have) gets a wasted look if it gets too much sun.. Had it in a bad location for a bit , when I moved it under the trees it looked much better after a while.

Oh well though.. A little experimentation in plantings is always fun.. So long as it doesn't run rampant and take over.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Yes, it isn't so much fun when you are tired and have other heavy chores to get done before the snow flies. For me, even smaller jobs are a heck of a lot of work. Grass coming up through chicken wire isn't such a big deal, but after all I went through planting over 200 bulbs, trying to do it right, reading up on how to keep tulips going, my heart just sank.

I love window boxes, wanted them all around the house, and it would look nice, but they require too much watering. Diapers, crystals, enough is enough for now. I wonder what else you could do with that roof. Something in deeper planters with rocks on top would not have to be watered as often.

Maybe I'll give the iresine that's left another chance, got fed up with one pot and just let it cook. As soon as the geraniums are finished blooming in the house, I'll cut them way back and move it all out of the sun.

Funny, I finally rooted one piece in dirt, stuck a piece in a window box under a porch overhang mind you (shade then hot afternoon sun), it rooted all right, then didn't do a thing the rest of the summer. Just sticks up like it's had enough of me :-).

I'll see what that sedum is about. Lucky you, all that new area to dream big dreams. I have a small yard and have developed a passion for rooting rose cuttings, gaining on that, and now there will be few places to put them so I'll have to give them away, same with the 24 redbud seedlings I've nurtured all summer.

I'm worried about them. Have them in pepsi bottles with 6 good-sized holes burned in the bottom. Ideally I should sink them in the ground and yank them in spring but am just too tired to dig that much out, don't have a cold frame, don't feel up to rigging something up with straw bales & old storm or plastic. What to do? I don't want to buy the trencher for my tiller because I don't know if I'd get enough use from it.

I suppose plunging them in my huge leaf cages isn't a good idea either, an unheated garage, not the best and I think I have to water once a month, everywhere in the house too warm unless you think a storage area in the basement with a crack in the east window with a high shelf might work. I'd hate to lose them after all the effort I put into getting them this far.

Skipped over your other but not that it wasn't interesting. I will look into the sedum, I love easy-to-root stuff, but it will have to wait. I snipped 6 shoots of coleus from a neighbor who wasn't going to get around to doing anything with his, there it just sits in water, 3 weeks now about, change it often, wilted on top, no roots, even had an aquarium bubbler going, finally took that out, didn't want to squander the little rooting hormone I had left, people say it is easy to root without it, will buy fresh next spring.

Reply to
Hettie®

Instead of tilling the sod under, cut it out and remove it.. That's the best way to make sure the grass doesn't come back.. But then, that depends on the grass, if it's bunch growing or if it spreads via runner.

Either way, stinks to have to do cleanup work on something that's already done.. Been there, done that..

I'm going to build a loooong one for the front window here, plus shutters.. Thing that I'd noticed with planter flower is that it's best to pick things which don't require hardly any care, especially those in harsh sun.

Sounds like too much sun to me.. What I have, I didn't watter at all since we'd moved besides during the drought. It thrived in its shady location.

We had a small yard, which I'd have done more with... Well, but the house was her ex's which carried a stigma to it.. I found it hard to take pride in anything I did to it. Odd, huh?

Anyway, I could have done much more to it..

Never messed with redbuds.. Or trees from seedlings for that matter.. Why do you think in the house would be "too warm"? I'd think too cold would be the issue at hand. But then, don't know much about those.

Going to see if I can mail some starts next season. I'll end up posting to the list to see if anyone wants any.. Have a surplus ATM, but it's dying back for winter.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

That's what I should have done even though it was mostly brown from being covered, stuff is stubborn. I recycle my potting mixture into compost and found some garlic chives that have gone months without water, stuck them on top of some soil, put in east window, watered them, and they took off again.

My son was going to do that for some pretty iron grill facing south relected against light tan stucco. Like it will be hot up there. I asked for suggestions for suitable plants for him. I remember angelonia? & sweet potato vine, things that don't need constant watering, trail, etc., might be able to find that again.

That sounds really pretty, a long window box and shutters. Maybe you can rig up a drip system with clear plastic tubing?

Yes, too much sun. It can tolerate a certain amount of drought. Mine drooped when I was slow to water the rooted ones inside, they snapped right back. They were happy in the east window dining room windows, sunroom was too sunny and hot for them but not as bad as outside.

No. You need to start fresh. Usually enough baggage as it is. I wish you well.

I'm not good at planning, better once it's in, oh I should have . . .

I never grew trees from seeds before but some people told me to rub them with sandpaper. It worked great. Eastern redbuds are more northern, and I would think they would prefer a simulated northern environment from the git go, hot and cold cycles. I could bring them into the house, easier to monitor them for the first winter. I kept rose cuttings in the sunroom last winter, now they will have to tough it out their first winter outside, thought I was disrupting their natural cycle by doing that but justified that the roses I buy from Texas that are hardy in my zone have been bred in milder temps and have to adapt anyway. I think redbuds are tough. I could get some cheap on ebay from somebody across the river for gosh sakes, but I wanted the fun of watching them grow.

I've never been real keen on coleus but have seen it used effectively. This was my neighbor's, he's young and busy, and I hoped I could have a couple for myself and give him the rest back for next year. I don't have a spot for them anyway. I don't have a spot for 24 redbuds either. We have a boulevard, and if I get them far enough along, I will see if I can fill in where they have cut some trees from a neighborhood project years ago. Then I got to thinking smallish trees might branch out too much over the street. My daughter wants a couple. I can find spots for about two. I have a farm, but I tried to plant trees there before and I can't drive 50 miles to water, weed, and mulch. Well, I could, but you know how it goes.

If I really get roses and lilies and other things going strong, I am going to have to think about the farm. I even looked at some cheap city lots in rundown neighborhoods, but think I'd be taking on too much. If weeds get out of control on the farm, nobody gets on my case. Not so the city.

I'm licking my wounds. A lady gave me six cuttings of a gorgeous repeat rose, very doube and deep pink/cerise, and they all died (I'm guessing I had them too tall and medium too wet for how I am doing this batch. I took two of one I didn't particularly like as well, mostly because it was a rose with unusual foliage, at least two more sets of leaves and deeply veined, lush grayish green. One I look at today and large roots growing through the holes, so I potted that one up, didn't think that mess of dry leaves had a snowball's chance in you know what of rooting. Her bushes were languishing, and I begged for cuttings before she whacked them because I needed ones with leaves so I thought. Then I thought too late to ask her for all she whacked off the two ones I liked the best (same rose), hoping to revitalize them. So I'm SOL on those, and I don't know if she will give me any more for a long time. I'm getting older, I may not have a long time.

I guess you have to roll with the punches. I didn't expect so many failures and setbacks with all my planning. I didn't want to spray my roses, and they got hit with almost everything, and didn't factor in trees which were leafless when I planned it out. Duh. The two in front that get the most sun are doing the best, rest look awful and ravaged, expensive Austin roses. At least I'm learning a lot from it, my mistakes included.

I kind of envy you having all that room, but I'd better just be thankful I have what I do. I could grow more if I cut down some trees, no have to work around the trees for now.

I LOVE lilacs, have just one common purple one, would like at least six. Sorry I made this too long. I get so enthused just thinking about some of it.

Reply to
Hettie®

Plants are wonderful things.. So full of life when you least expect it.. Also makes them a pain in the rear at times.. ;)

He do welding? I'd always wanted to mess around with that but never started.. I play with wood.. Brother plays with metal.. I've got alot of left over cedar and poplar from the fence so was going to plane it smooth and use it.

Window's actually right over the outside water spigot for the front of the house, so easy to get to and water as I walk by.. However I am thinking of moving to a drip system, but only after I get the well working again. Want to use it for irrigation exclusively.

Thanks.. :) We've certainly enjoyed the house since we've moved.. Have so much to do though.. Ooohh.. Picked up a killer copper sink on eBay for the bathroom vanity, which is an old furniture piece with an attached mirror I'm turning into a vanity..

Hmm.. so many things to do... Ugh..

True.. That is the fun part... I did try to sprout some dawn redwoods before from the neighbors but had awful luck with that..

True, but if it becomes a community project, alot of free help to come in and care for it..

Hmmmm.. Sounds like a bit of trouble... Though, no offense, I'm not a fan of roses.. I can admire them however.. Just not in my yard.. ;)

Actually care is one of the reasons why I'd always stayed away from them.. The other is thorns..

True... So long as you learn, it's all good.. I'd been having a blast with our lilies, though I had made mistakes with them.

You can envy me for my space, which is only a bit over an acre, don't envy too much.. And I'll envy you for your farm.. ;)

Rather love lilacs, too, as well as a pile of other things.. Will keep me busy for years to come. And not a problem, been fun reading and chatting.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

No, I wanted to sign up for MIG welding, wish he's do something like that, too busy with his job which is demanding. Anyway, he had them custom made from a local iron works. They are good. Expensive but not like places you see on the net. I had 2 porch rails and six step spanner handrail made by the same people. Now that it is done, people can see the difference in quality, so it was worth it. I don't feel up to welding right now after a very demanding summer. Shucky darn, can't do everything.

Sounds neat. Nice find, won't tell you all the stuff I bought from there, got a beautiful old dresser to go with my iron bed I had refurbished, oh the iron company did the bed for me, too. I love antiques. Was in a new neighbor's home the other night, newly married, nicest couple, and she had the most beautiful old church pew I have ever seen.

Maybe you need to try the sandpaper trick. 20 rubs, not too harsh but medium sandpaper. Planted 40, about 27 germinated, so I transplanted. I started them in McDonald's salad trays w/clear tops with holes punched in the bottom w/exacto knife. For medium, I used 1/2 quality potting soil and 1/2 peat, set them in the shade until they germinated. I always thought transplanting those little seedlings was too risky for me, but so many of them are marvelously resilient it you handle them gently, dig under them with a plastic knife end, etc. Amazing some no losees, some just a couple. Then the redbuds went into plastic cups w/holes set in sterlite odd containers w/holes in the side, then finally had to get them in the pepsi bottles.

That's a point, would call the city forresters first. I just may buy 50 daff bulbs and plant them next year, why not?

No I'm not offended at all. They are a royal pain. Until I found out I could actually finally HAVE some Austins and discovered the heirloom ones, I didn't have any for years. I get stuck a lot, goes with the territory. You get used to it for a labor of love. Now I've made it my raison d'etre to find as many old roses and root as many as I can. It started one beautiful day in late May when I spotted some (didn't know what kind they were then) Harison's (one r) yellow rose. Thorns on those don't come any worse. My mouth dropped open, I was new into photography and took beaucoup photos, made friends with the lady, she gave me 7 suckers, only one has hung on where I transplanted it.

The problem with roses is making them fit seamlessly into the landscape rounded out with perennials, haven't hit my stride on that yet, may never.

I'm getting really excited about lilies, discovered oldhousegardens, Brent & Becky's, Gilbert G. Wild in MO, got a bunch of those going, too. Plant deep, liquid fence is my friend. They are much easier than roses until it comes time to divide them which I haven't had to do yet. I may scrap most of the roses in front and switch to more lilies and iris & odd and sundry.

The farm is a mixed blessing. I wanted to live on it, too citified and and no man (not whining about that) but out there alone, I'd be a problem to the neighbors who might feel obligated to look after me which I wouldn't like, but I am NOT self sufficient much as I would have liked to be. My kids wanted no part in it until they got boyfriends, etc. Yeah, like I wanted the one to be growing pot behind the barn. I don't think so. So we have other arrangements, working well for now. To make it what I wanted would simply cost too much money. My sis and I share half of two farms. They've been rentals for so long they are run down and all the newer buildlings are utilitarian ugly. We have kept the houses up though. The farm women used to have lots of flowers. Now they have to drive tractors and help their husbands.

Good. I have other interests, too, and sorry I chatted so much. We can pick it up after Thanksgiving on another thread perhaps. I've got to switch gears here anyway for a few days, Friday I have to get my 3 hoses in and a couple other chores, can't wait to fight with those snakes.

Good luck with your "estate" there. You can make it beautiful. You know, I read about a gal that got her lilies dividing and blooming in pots, sold 800 out of the back of her pickup. Don't know how much she netted, maybe it was $800 she made from them, then she lost the mother lily and was trying to find a replacement. Must have been an unusual and pretty one.

That's enough. You needn't answer. We can pick it up again later, but I enjoyed chatting with you.

Reply to
Hettie®