Plant ID

We are in Northern Ohio and this plant has appeared in our flower bed. I don't remember planting it, but perhaps I did. It is about 18 inches tall. I put some pictures of it at http://mywebpage.netscape.com/wbrownusa/instant/photos.html
Does anyone recognize it?
there.

The picture you posted is showing what looks to be a shrub that is about 3 feet high. I would guess that it has been there for years considering the thickness of the branches. My guess would be that it is a privet ( Ligustrum) of some kind. Does it get flowers? Is it evergreen or deciduous? How fast does it grow?
Vox Humana wrote:

It has been there for some years and doesn't grow as fast as our privet; I would call it slow growing. It is just under two feet tall. I haven't seen flowers, but I don't go in that area often, especially in the spring as that is our daffodil bed. I can't remember if it is evergreen, but I'll look this winter.
I compared it to our privet after reading your thoughts. I know there are all kinds of privet. The trunk on the mystery shrub has patterns not unlike our privet, but is dark grey-green, where our privets are more tan. I cut a branch and put up some closer pictures of the leaves at the same URL. Our privet has smooth-edged leaves, while the mystery shrub has erose-edged leaves, in a pattern of one large and two small originating very close together on the twig, which also differs from our privet.

there.