pineapples

Page 1 of 2
I'de like to grow a pineapple from the top of the fruit just to see if I can do it . If I can I'll have a neat plant and If I cant' well I'd have thrown out the top any way after eating it. any one know how to cultivate a plant from the top. I looked for a web site to tell me hoe to do it but could not find one thanks Michelle
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:47:15 -0500, Michelle wrote:

I found this among other things by doing a search at www.google.com and using keywords "pinapple propagation"
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pineapple.html
Michelle snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

<snip>
I've had considerable success (about 80% of the times) by cutting off the top c. 2 inches of the fruit, then tirmming away the jucy part, leaving just a cylinder about the size of the base of the crown, removing a few of the basal leaves, turning it upside-down to dry & callous for a week or two, then planting it in a lose organic mix -- being careful not to over-water at first, but keeping the humidity high and misting the top lightly with water daily, preferably in the mid-morning (like most Bromeliadacea, the leaves have little scales that trap water which is absorbed by glands underneath them). After it's well-rooted, I feed lightly about once a month.
Don't expect to get tasty fruit, however -- that requires a big plant and a tropical climate. (Well... okay, I _did_ get reasonably good (though not very sweet) fruit from plants I grew in the greenhouses at the Los Angeles County Arboretum, but that wasn't under house conditions.)
Don Fitch, Covina, CA.

g'day michelle,
easy just twist the top of the pineapple peel off the bottom couple or so layers of smaller leaves this will create a stub and you will be able to see the nodules where the roots will come from, plant this pretty much into any potting medium water it in keep it reasonably well watered and in a place where it will get good sun even direct full on sun.
they say if you let the top dry out a bit for 2 or 3 weeks will fruit quicker, but then in your neck of the woods fruiting may take a long time to occure anyway.
len
snipped
--
happy gardening

I see others have answered, but thought I'd mention a book the library *might* have. I read about pineapples, and all the other plants he grew from other "leftovers,"it's: The After Dinner Gardening Book.
Janice

I have grown them successfully by simply placing the twisted off top in moist soil and it will root on its own.
chaz
http://www.lofthouse.com/hobby/garden/pineapple.html
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

The fun of many of these trials aren't so much producing fruit, as making something grow. I often plant ginger and have achieved several pretty plants, but by no means a sure supply of ginger. A sprouting garlic clove is worth planting, and a chunk of horseradish must be confined, or it will take over your garden. Even if not suited to the outdoor climate, a pineapple or citrus may be an interesting houseplant.

And don't forget the ''sweet potato in a jar'' plant. (Put the end of the potato into water as you would an avocado seed) You can also have nice plants for outside: when the stems on the sweet potato are about 3-4 inches long, Gently pull them off and put the ends in about 1/2 inch water. As soon as roots begin to develop, either plant outside or into pots. They can go outside when danger of frost is past, (very frost tender.) They will even bloom with small, morning glory-like flowers.
Emilie Nor Cal
wow I did not know that sweet potatoes had such pretty plowers I think I will make that the next project I try with my kids They love sweet potatoes michelle On 08 Feb 2004 17:17:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MLEBLANCA) wrote:

Not only that, the philodendron-like flowers are edible.
Beny
writes:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:51:51 -0700, Janice

I *must* have that book! I *love* growing things from unlikely seeds or cuttings. Usually have a spindly avocado around, and am still trying with citrus. Now if I could just grow shrimp from a shrimp shell... :-)

Do you know who the Author is ? This book sounds great

Google is your friend. Author: Langer, Richard W.

We used to have a little orange tree in our house in Michigan, from a seed from an orange, of course. We also had a peach tree in the back yard from a peach pit.
On 09 Feb 2004 00:05:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Skirmishd) wrote:

No way I've tryed my whole life when I was a kid to grow a peach and my mom said it would never work and still I tried time and time again and nothing never got one how did you do it did you just put it in the ground and wamo it grew? I never got an orange seed to sprout either

There's a peach tree growing in my front yard that volunteered, grew from a fallen peach. Elberta peach tree was the parent, offspring could be either self-pollinated peach or could be at that time there were other peach and nectarines growing in the yard, but I'm pretty sure it's just a self-pollinated elberta peach offspring.
The After-Dinner Gardening Book by Richard W. Langer is out of print, but if you do a search on it, you'll find many prices from 99 cents to $16.99 are the two extremes I saw in just a couple minutes, probably could be found on e-bay too. Never can tell ;-)
I found the book on Half .com fo r 99 cents great huh and the shipping is2 dollars I'm so happy and it is a new copy not used so I ordered it michelle On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 02:01:40 -0700, Janice