PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Poison Ivy

The message from Charles contains these words:

I think that article must have meant rhus typhina, aka staghorn sumach. (note, this is not rhus vernix, your poison sumach).Rhus typhina is an extremely handsome ornamental tree

quite commonly planted as a garden tree in the UK, but only because it poses very minimal risk of skin irritation. It's nowhere near as toxic as poison oak, poison ivy, or poison sumach. It's not the same plant as US poison ivy, though it is in the same family. (Anacardiaceae)

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Sounds good! I expect to get some. Have you checked the pH? I'd be surprised if it isn't quite alkaline.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:14:43 -0400, Jerry Avins wrote (in article ):

You all are very brave. I stay as far away from it as I can.

Lee

Park Ridge, NJ

Reply to
Lee

I've used it and keep in the house.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

The woods invest in ivy - as a protective measure? ;)

Sorry - couldn't resist that!

Cheryl Isaak

Don't resist. It's futile, anyway.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

;)

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

That's OK. I wish I could find some way to use the stuff. I could get rich. Seems like every tree has some. The timber was grazed many years ago and I think the only thing the cattle didn't eat was the ivy and gooseberries. I'm in a timber stand improvement program and I'm attempting to get rid of invasive non native species and any vines in the trees. I have lots of Virginia creeper too. It can actually kill a tree. So far I'm too far north for kudzu thank goodness.

gls858

Reply to
gls858