PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Duckweed

We had been so plagued with duckweed on our small pond that we just declared the war over and lost interest in the pond. By late Spring, it was a sea of green and might as well have been filled with cement. Other than frogs, we could see nothing in the way of life in the pond.

js

Reply to
Jack Schmidling

Jack- A few years ago, I put in a very small pond in my backyard. When it was completed, I sent off to a pond supply company for some Duckweed. I think it makes a pond look natural, and Koi and Gold Fish love it as a treat.

I think I paid around $24.00 for the supply including the shipping.

The fish ate the Duckweed in short order, and I'm now without any.

Your picture makes me envious - I'm betting you could put an ad up on Ebay, and become a Duckweed Baron.

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

[snip]

Far as I can tell, these "photo of the week" postings are automated, mostly for self-glorification, should he stumble upon a well taken photo. Walking up to a pond, and pressing a button on a point and shoot does not make you a photographer. Furthermore a year's worth of poorly taken photos posted weekly on usenet does not meet the definition of a photo of the week.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

Thank you. I thoroughly enjoyed your pictures.

Reply to
Mindful

For some reason I never saw the original post.

Jack, if you're reading this, put a few large goldfish in the pond and the duckweed will disappear -- slowly at first.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Better yet, let's ignore that sour grapes posting and send me your address and I will send you a bag of nice fresh duckweed.

Then I need to get some some goldfish and sell the boat.

I really have a hard time believing the goldfish thing but I am never too old to learn something new.

One thing for sure, the ducks don't eat it.

js

Reply to
Jack Schmidling

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:01:22 -0600, Jack Schmidling plucked a feather from Fawkes, dipped it into the ink well and then scribed:

I believe the goldfish story. :-)

Many years ago when I kept goldfish in an outside pond I needed to grow duckweed in a separate pond without goldfish. When I had a sufficient supply I would scoop up a net full to give them which they treated as food and it would be all gone in 5 - 10 minutes.

Reply to
Erik Vastmasd

Wake up Mr Snooze.... the only thing automated seems to be your sour grapes.

js

Reply to
Jack Schmidling

"Snooze" expounded:

Nice troll. No go away.

Reply to
Ann

Thanks for the headsup. This was plaguing for a long time so for several years I have been posting through Google Groups. This was sort of a test sent via my isp news server and you have confirmed that the problem still exists.

Anyway, it's hard to believe goldfish will eat this but it's certainly worth a try. Do you suppose the garden variety would be hardy in N Illinois?

js

Reply to
Jack Schmidling

Reply to
Elaine

Then please enlighten me, exactly how do these pictures qualify as being "photo of the week"?

mean, besides walking up to the edge of the pond, and pressing a button on a point and shoot?

The lack of resolution limits an in-depth critique, but here goes.

  1. Appears to have some motion blur, a tripod would have helped.
  2. Impossible to tell that it's a picture of a pond, if we didn't know it was duckweed, we'd think it was a forest meadow.
  3. if the picture was taken lower and closer to the foreshore, we'd get more detail of the pond surface.
  4. longer exposure would have improved the detail on the far left shore, or the use of photoediting software.

As for the picture of the paddle boat, highly uninteresting subject matter, and even less photographic detail, even the ripples are blurry. Could you even tell that the person is scooping up duckweed, and not some fish? Clumps of duckweed look more like clumps of algae.

The phrase photo of the week implies you'll showcase your best 52 photographs, not 52 haphazardly taken photos. Unless this was one of your 52 best photos.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

You're right, we should have lied and said "Wow Jack that was a nice photo!" Unless you want tell me you believe that this was a well taken photograph.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

week is. I have been doing this for ten years and have never missed a week. I never claimed they were trophy photos and frequently the interest is in the story not the quality of the photo.

I doubt most folks would consider a $900 Canon Digital Rebel a point and shoot nor the tens of thousands I have invested in the equipment used to take all the astrophotos that I have been posted over the years.

Then why bother. Low res photos tell the story and make life easy for those of us on dialup. Where resolution is needed, I crop.

So now that I have given you the courtesy of an answer, kindly tell us what is bugging you or what your mission is.

js

-- PHOTO OF THE WEEK:

Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver

jack

Sad really. I've taken better with a point and shoot. Heck I've taken better with the digital camera feature on the camcorder.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

snipped-for-privacy@schmidling.com expounded:

Jack, he's a troll, nothing more. Ignore it and it will go away.

Reply to
Ann

Good idea. I was going to ask him how his point and shoot works on the Andromeda Galaxy or a 5 billion lt yr quasar.

js

Reply to
Jack Schmidling

Didn't take you long to try and compare camera penis sizes.

Try this one, taken with a camera that makes yours look like a mercedes benz limo.

Snooze

Nice photo!

but even my 7 year old daughter gets lucky sometimes pointing the camera.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Good idea. I was going to ask him how his point and shoot works o the Andromeda Galaxy or a 5 billion lt yr quasar.

Didn't take you long to try and compare camera penis sizes.

Try this one, taken with a camera that makes yours look like mercedes benz limo.

Nice photo!

but even my 7 year old daughter gets lucky sometimes pointing th camera.

Cheryl

you know something it seems like everytime jack posts a pic someone ha to pick on what he posts and has nothing good to say about it. well there are others in this group other than those people who ar constantly criticizing the pics that do enjoy looking at them. i for one look forward to jacks postings. i dont know who died and made anyone god or gave them the right t judge others for what they did or didnt do right or wrong. its amazing how many people think that they are better than others an can do things better than others. those people should stop and take a look at their own lives and clea out their own closets before they start putting others down. jack thank you for posting the pics that you do i for one do enjo looking at them and look forward to your pic of the week:). cyaaaaa sockiescat

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat