PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Poison Ivy

Page 1 of 2
Everyone knows (or should know) what poison Ivy looks like.
But this one really took me by surprise....
js
On 10/2/07 9:17 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Jack

Just found some in my perennial bed. I'm waiting until fall is truly here (and after my parent's 50 anniversary party) to get the rubber gloves out. After the last round and needing steroids to cure it, I'm taking no chances.
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Denature the irritant on yourself and your tools with a moderately strong alkali. Brown laundry soap (which contains some of the lye used to make it) was once recommended, but it's hard to find and household ammonia works much better. When I dealt with a large infestation last year -- four trees had been overgrown with it for years -- I covered up as completely as I could, then rinsed all exposed skin with ammonia when done. I changed, bagged the clothes, rinsed again, and showered, I washed the clothes when I got home after soaking them in ammonia. Nary a blister.
Jerry
On 10/2/07 12:01 PM, in article BoednbPEqJTu9p_anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net,

I basically got the PI in my blood stream and even though the initial contact was only on my arm, it was erupting on my face and neck and a few less comfortable spots. So for me it is rubber gloves, straight into a bag with the lot (fortunately only a single vine) and a through wash for myself and the clothes with the Rx soap. Not taking a single chance on repeat.
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:11:03 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
<snip>

I would just zap it with glyphosate and get the root for sure too (shrug). Don't have to handle it that way. Let it die back to the point that you can't tell what it was anymore. By next spring it shouldn't be of any problem.
If you have desirables mixed in with it, hold something like cardboard up by it as a backstop so the over spray doesn't hit them.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

It is in the center of a large, expensive desirable. It a little vine, so I should be able to get it all with plastic knife. Cheryl
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:35:38 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
<snip>

Then I would suggest marking the spot with a stake or something and keep close watch for it growing back. I suspect you may have to do this job more than once. Poison Ivy is quite tenacious.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

That's a good idea! There are a whole 6 leaves on it... C
eon Fisk wrote:

How do you spray it when it's growing up a tree?
Jerry
On 10/2/07 6:30 PM, in article 0NKdnUzQasIdW5_anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net,

The conventional wisdom is that if you cut the vine off from the roots and treat the cut ends with your choice of weed killer, it will die. (the dead vines, leaves etc still have plenty of urushiol, so be wary)
Cheryl
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:30:22 -0400, Jerry Avins

That takes a two stage approach. I would cut the vine off a few feet above the ground and wait maybe a year. Then spray the new growth good that you can easily reach. Keep a close eye on it and hit anymore new growth if the first dose doesn't do it in.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Fels Naptha soap is what you're referring to, and oldtime home centers still carry it. It works well.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

simply rub it on and rinse it off. I work in ivy invested woods cutting firewood and clearing trails and I have yet to get it after I started using this stuff. I make it a point to never run out. By far the best stuff I've found.
http://www.teclabsinc.com/products.cfm?id 5604C8-9D05-4675-56129F6D83DF2417&section=1
gls858
gls858 wrote:

http://www.teclabsinc.com/products.cfm?id 5604C8-9D05-4675-56129F6D83DF2417&section=1 Sounds good! I expect to get some. Have you checked the pH? I'd be surprised if it isn't quite alkaline.
Jerry
On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:14:43 -0400, Jerry Avins wrote

You all are very brave. I stay as far away from it as I can.
Lee
Park Ridge, NJ
On 10/3/07 6:16 PM, in article exUMi.24200$Im1.23499@trnddc01, "gls858"

I've used it and keep in the house.
Cheryl
On 10/3/07 6:16 PM, in article exUMi.24200$Im1.23499@trnddc01, "gls858"

The woods invest in ivy - as a protective measure? ;)
Sorry - couldn't resist that!
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Don't resist. It's futile, anyway.
Jerry
--
Birds have bright feathers; people must make do with puns.

;)