PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Greenhouse

That's why it was so cheap. The parts are all chinese made, and the hardware is cheap. Many times I just toss the hardware in the recycling bin and use all new. Mini-blind hardware is the worst. Just use real screws for those.

Those are cool. But do you need an extra room? In your situation I'd dig down a bit to use the earth as insulation. Sounds like you need to decide if you want a room or a greenhouse. Either way, attached to the house is the way to go. I don't and never have had a greenhouse, but Louise has more gardening books than I have cookbooks. From what I've read, using the earth is the way to go. It depends on the budget. Paying it forward you'll save money, and enjoy your investment.
Lou

Underground you're talking of a "cold frame". a very different concept from a greenhouse.
cold frame noun : a usually glass- or plastic-covered frame without artificial heat used to protect plants and seedlings outdoors
A cold frame can cost next to nothing but it's not something one uses as living space, not even for grown plants.
http://tinyurl.com/23hb39
http://reference.aol.com/dictionary_image.adp?img=coldfram&debug=0&txt=cold%20frame&title=cold%20frame http://reference.aol.com/dictionary_image.adp?img=coldfram&debug=0&txt=cold%20frame&title=cold%20frame

Try standing up in a cold frame, Sheldon.

True, but there are also greenhouses that are dug into the ground to use the earth's natural insulation. Commonly called a pit greenhouse. Google away.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann wrote:

I will but after setting ours up, I learned that more heat is lost through the ground than through the glazed exposed surfaces. This seems hard to believe but thinking about that electric bill, we put down a double layer of TechFoil and one inch styrofoam sheets. TechFoil is basically two layers of bubble wrap between two layers of heavy aluminum foil.
Seems to me if what you say is true, all of this was for naught. I suppose if you dug it far below the frost line this would help but nothing down there would be in reach of the Sunlight so I guess I need to Google.
js

Oh, the Google armark wasn't meant for you, Jack, but yes, it's true, here are a few links for those interested:
http://www.keppelcroft.com/greenhouses.html
http://winsfordwalledgarden.com/greenhouses.aspx?Group=greenhouses&Page=pit_house
http://www.geocities.com/%7Enewliberty/tools.htm
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I wouldn't call a conservatory an extra room or a need... that's like calling an inground swimming pool an extra bath tub and deeming it a necessity. I always wanted a conservatory, a nice way to enjoy my plants and my outside view... and it sure would be nice to have a conservatory that contained a swimming pool. okay, a spa. One of my neighbors had a 3 season room added, it's very nice, probably the most popular room in the house. But were it me I'd have gone all the way and for a few dollars more made it an all season room, because in this clime without heat and insulation you really can't use it from October thru April... that's half the year that it can't be enjoyed. I think it would be a nice addition to my office, and I really wouldn't want the spa, if I did choose a water feature I'd rather a small koi pool... do I really need these things, no, does anyone. No one needs to do recreational gardening either.
Sheldon wrote:

In this case, it wasn't so simple. Many of the screws are square heads that fit into slots in the extrusions. There were other odd ball screws that could not be substituted.
The two problems that plagued us was that even using MM tools, the same heads and nuts were all different sizes and I had to grind open end wrenches to fit them all.
There were also many screws that were not completely threaded and if this was discovered after it was slid into the slot and assembled, it meant taking the whole assembly apart to replace it.
At all the corners, the nuts bumped into each other so you couldn't tighten both nuts without making a special wrench.
Peeling the protective wrap from the glazing was a nightmare until we found that soaking the sheet with paint thinner made it a lot easier but messier. Not a word about this in the instructions.
Great fun,
js

I didn't write that.

Sounds like a real pita. But at least now you've got tomatoes <g>
Lou
In your situation I'd

I know of someone who grows grapes in a climate which in Australia is considered cold (ie heavy frost and too little summer sun to ripen grapes). He grows them in what he calls 'sun pits'. Basically these are just deep trenches in the ground on a North facing slope and with some clear roofing material thown on top. They work - cheap but effective.

It's obvious that it gives you a lot of pleasure and I can certainly understand that. Very nice but all that white stuff is enough to make me appreciate my mere frosty winters.
And the spinning is great. I'm just spinning some dog, alpaca and wool mix.