PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Greenhouse

Page 1 of 2
We have always dreamed of having a green house. This one isn't exactly a dream come true but it was a place to start.
I have put together a Greenhouse page for more background, pictures and a place to post futures pictures of our activities therein.
js

It would be interesting to know what growing zone you are in and what it did to your electric bills.....Sharon in Canada, zone5
"biig" wrote:

From the snow, manner of dress, and native flora I'd guess zone 6-7. As to electric bills their gardening is obviously a hobby, not a business... no one does recreational gardening to save money. Why do so many people equate so much in their lives strictly with dollars and cents... don't yoose ever enjoy anything just for the sake of pleasure derived.

From the snow, manner of dress, and native flora I'd guess zone 6-7. As to electric bills their gardening is obviously a hobby, not a business... no one does recreational gardening to save money. Why do so many people equate so much in their lives strictly with dollars and cents... don't yoose ever enjoy anything just for the sake of pleasure derived. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Because some budgets are not infinite, professor.

That post wasn't offered to discuss their pocketbook, it was obviously offered in hopes people would join in celebrating their enjoyment of something they find pleasurable, not for yoose sick bi-polars to poo poo their happiness. Can't any of yoose clinically depressed folks ever look at the glass half *full*.... sheesh, so much resentment of anyone enjoying their life. The poster didn't ask you to pay for their greenhouse.

Amen, Mr. Sparebedroom. I don't believe Jack's post even mentioned cost or monetary returns. Do these same "calculating" people haul spreadsheet to every corner of their gardens to justify the time and cost of esthetic value and personal fulfillment? I had a 12 X 26 foot greenhouse when I lived in NW Montana. One end was connected to the wall of the garage. I heated it with a wood stove, back up propane heater and had lights (because of long winter nights). I figured it cost me close to $120 a month to keep it up and running during the winter. For the pleasure I derived working in my "vacation home", sitting on my bench potting things up or grooming and fiddling with my plants in my warm, peaceful greenhouse when the snow was blowing sideways drove away any thoughts of cost. It was money better spent than one week in Hawaii. Some things you can't put a price on. I'm sure you and wife will love your greenhouse, Jack......until you decide you need a bigger one, this is the only drawback of a greenhouse....no matter what the size, soon it's never big enough ;)
Val
Val wrote:

Sitting there with our beer and peanuts and book on tape this afternoon, we pondered just where we are going to put all our start ups in Spring. It's already far too small.
js

4-5 depending on what map you look at.
Lou

Yes, after perusing their web site it seems they're in Marengo Ill... perhaps most of those photos are from a month or two ago, seems only the one with snow is more recent... looks like a relatively mild season for that area. I've been contemplating a greenhouse of sorts myself, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a smallish (12' X 12') four season shed-like structure attached to my house, I need something substantial if it's to hold up to the winters here... I'm wondering how that plastic sheet structure will hold up to wind and snowload, I don't think it would last very long here and I'm in the same zone 5. And If I set it out somewhere in the open I'd not be able to get to it very easily with the typical one and two foot+ snow falls not to mention drifts over my head. The rear of my house faces dead south so it's in full sun all year, but even so I wonder what it would cost to heat! hehe What a stupid question, anyone installing a greenhouse realizes it must cost something for maintaining temperature in cold climes... as dumb a question as someone going to buy a yacht and asking how many knots per gallon... yoose think golfers care how much balls cost... that would be like someone buying an All-Clad pot but can only afford to use it to cook ramen.

And I'm not sure you need to think in terms of heating the whole shed/ room. A friend in Oregon has a stand-alone greenhouse about 8' x 12' which he heats only a few days per the typical winter when they get a hard freeze. The rest of the time he uses some kind of warming devices that just keep seedbeds and pots/trays warm. Task lights on a timer targeted for specific plants when he wants to jumpstart something. This approach, he says, minimizes the electric bill. - aem

I saw an ingenious greenhouse that was heated with decaying compost under the floor. Steam continues to pour off the top of our compost piles year round. I'm sure the "cost" of doing this is maintaining the compost pile, but it can work well with the proper care.

The old 'pineapple houses' in Britain also used a similar system.
On 12/19/07 2:32 AM, in article 4768c8fc$0$20607$ snipped-for-privacy@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au, "FarmI"

My grandfather had a "hot house" that was his seed starting area. He'd bring cow manure (fresh) up to the green house and with kitchen scraps, he'd keep that place toasty from late January in to March when he would start spreading most of the fresh stuff in the that year's fallow field.
Cheryl
biig wrote:

Northern Illinois, whatever that is.
We just got an electric bill and it looks like about $125 for that month. However, it is much colder now and we had to add another 1500W heater to maintain 65F. Interestingly, this is exactly what was predicted from the nifty calculator I found somewhere on the net.
You plug in the dimensions, material and desired temp and the lowest outside temp and it came up with 3000 W. Allowing for various outside temps and sunshine, I now estimate about $200 a month.
I have been arguing with myself and my wife about spending $50 a month for high speed access and our frugality just says no but no problem with $200 for a tomato.
We all have our priorities.
js
On 12/18/07 11:08 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Jack

Be wary of going the high speed route - you'll never be able to go back.

it
I'm not THAT fond of tomatoes....lol... I have a much smaller version of your first one that I'll use to start things in the spring. Sharon, on a pension and a tight budget.

If you place a desktop PC in your greenhouse you can capture all the heat it expels.... might just pay for your high speed connection. But $50/mo seems rather high... here in NY Verizon charges $30 for DSL and they have an introductory offer of the first three months free, and with DSL you don't need to pay for an extra phone line. Also with DSL for a few more dollars you can opt for higher speed, I pay $2/mo more for almost double speed, the next higher speed (T1 line) is much higher but so is the cost. These days it's a false economy using dial up... the only reason to use dial up is if no other option is available where you live.

I'm going to have to make sure that the next time I get over to the States is going to be around October..... in whatever year :-)
--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Great pictures Jack. The whole DIY thing is rather silly. I can't tell you how many kits I've bought and had to get replacement hardware. I bought a New Braunfels smoker years ago and had to drill all the holes out bigger and use bigger and better nuts and bolts. I had to have a bit of welding done because the wheels would have fallen off.
Anyway I'd love to have your greenhouse. Have fun.
Lou

I've had the same experience with DIY kits, often terrible instructions and poor fasteners... the last one was a simple trash can cart, cost like all of $16, took me about four hours to figure it out and retool to make the parts fit.

I wish I could have something so simple but I doubt it would last very long in this climate. I've been tossing around the idea of a sort of greenhouse for the five years I've been here and finally decided it would make more sense for me to have something like these: http://www.patioenc.com/Products/Conservatories.aspx
http://www.greenhousesetc.com/conservatories.shtml
SHELDON