Pest Control

I planted the shrub Fagus sylvatica (beech hedging variety) last year and they got munched by what I believe was scale fly. The underside of the leaves of the shrub were covered in small white eggs which ants were duly having a feast on. The result was that the new green leaves lost all their colour. I tried various sprays from the garden centre regularly but this didn't seem to have the desired effect. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I solve this problem. Thanks Gordon, Glasgow, Scotland
sounds like you have a wooly aphid problem. Since they are on the undersides of the leaf, you have to make sure that the spray is reaching them all or they will just repopulate. What "various sprays" did you try? im not sure what chemicals are available in the U.K., but malathion is the old standby for aphids, also anything with acephate in it, or even oil sprays(read the label about temperature limits) will do the job. You could even spray them off with a stream of water.