Pesky Lawn Weeds

I did my share of the work on my grandfathers farm when I was a young boy, including helping to harvest the crops.

I have recently retired and my health is still excellent. My grandfather was approaching 100 when he died and he was still planting and harvesting crops the day he passes away. So, what's your point, if you have one?

I guess you eat only organically grown food and have a bicycle to ride on so you don't pollute the air.

Hound Dog

Reply to
Hound Dog

You come out with an uninformed and innaccurate statement which I contest and then you accuse me of "fuzzy math"?? Okay, if you don't like the statistics of the EPA then you present to us something to support the accuracy of your view - if you can. Otherwise, it is evident to anyone with a wit of intellegence and concern about the situation that you don't have a clue.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

That's correct "FUZZY MATH"

In your first paragraph you write the "EPA" ESTIMATES 1.1 Million pounds of fertilizers and pesticides are DUMPED on our lawns annually. Right so far? Then you instruct us to multiply that number by a few hundred or a THOUSAND and the result will be in the Billions of pounds. Actually 1.1 Million multiplied by your largest estimate of 1000 comes to just 1,100,000. Not Billions as you state, but only 1.1 Billion. Sure as heck sounds like "FUZZY MATH" to me, not to mention it being one hell of an exaggeration.

Your entire tirade is based only on YOUR opinions, estimates and unfounded statements. Not once do you give a site or a verifiable quote from any knowledgeable person to back up your claims. Then you have the unmitigated gall to write that I am uninformed. I'm certain you mean well, but like all other fanatics, you want everyone to blindly follow your rules.

Hound Dog

Reply to
Hound Dog

"Hound Dog" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Did you and your grandpa dump tons and tons of chemicals on your crops every year?

You guess wrong.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

"Hound Dog" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Yes, and your anecodetal evidence about living around a farm was really convincing.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

I said farmers, collective, not just one. Is that concept beyond you?

Than you should be ashamed of yourself.

Hound Dog

Hound Dog

Do you mean "anecdotal" evidence?

Figures you and your ilk would have difficulties believing the truth. Must have something to do with all those dangerous chemicals you don't use.

Hound Dog

Reply to
Hound Dog

"Hound Dog" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

And I asked about you and your grandpa specificly. Did you learn what a "question" was at school? How about "answer"?

If that's what you think. Of course I have little reason to regard your opinions highly.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

"Hound Dog" wrote in news:XJWdnX snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Well, Mr. Spelling Cop, may be your should learn the difference between 'then' and 'than'.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

As far as I can see you have little reason to even be.

Hound Dog

Reply to
Hound Dog

A typo is one thing, a word badly mangled is another.

You do know the difference, don't you?

Hound Dog

Reply to
Hound Dog

Ummm, 1,100,000 actually is equal to 1.1 million, and if you multiply that by 1,000 you get 1,100,000,000 which is 1 billion 100 million. You stated that 1,100,000 x 1,000 = 1,100,000.

Her math is not so fuzzy. I cannot vouch for the source of her numbers.

Mike

Reply to
oo Mike oo

(all sniped)

Methinks "Hound dog" should take a hike... We don't need his kind of flames on a good news group like this.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Zielinski

unmitigated

I wrote it incorrectly, but did state it as 1.1 Billion. Which makes her estimation of Billions incorrect and, in my opinion, to call it "FAULTY MATH."

Hound Dog

Reply to
Hound Dog

What's NEEDED on this newsgroup are answers to the questions that have been asked instead of maniacal responses about the dangers of fertilizers and chemicals. I think most adults on this newsgroup are aware that all substances may be hazardous if used improperly. That includes the organic as well as the inorganic ones.

Besides, I have not FLAMED anyone. I have only responded in kind to those who have attacked me.

Reread the posts.

Hound Dog

Reply to
Hound Dog

I have not FLAMED anyone. I have only answered their attacks on me in kind.

Read their posts.

Hound Dog

Reply to
Hound Dog

Getting back to the original question:

my nemisis as far as lawn weeds go is 'ground ivy'. Great looking flowers in the spring but takes over the lawn afterwards. I have tried various lawn fertilizers with weed control and home remedies spraying at certain times of the year but nothing seems to work as well as taking an hour every evening in warm weather and getting down on the grass and pulling it out by hand (sort of meditative too)....

rich haynes

Reply to
Rich

unmitigated

As noted, it is always a good idea to actually READ the posts before jumping in to attack. And it helps one's credibility to counter an argument with some facts of your own. "Hound Dog" fails on both counts.

HD, if you bother to reread what I wrote, I said the estimate (yes, an EPA "estimate" based on sales figures of the products) of 1.1 million pounds annually was for MY immediate area only. I furthered that statement with statistics provided by the EPA (do your own search to confirm or refute) for

1997, which provided a total of 4.6 billion pounds of pesticides (didn't include fertilizers) consumed that year in the US, of which only 3/4's was attributed to agricultural uses - the rest to homeowners. So explain to me where the fuzzy math is - 1.1 million x 1000 = 1+ billion in my book and 25% of 4.6 billion = 1.15 billion, but perhaps your math is different. Regardless of how many billion, it is still an astronomically higher figure than the 'few" pounds you attribute (without anything to support it, I might add).

Yes, I believe you are uninformed - your initial statement certainly supports that contention. And I doubt you have bothered to do any personal research to either support your view or counter mine. If you want a site to verify figures and data, check the EPA

Highlights

This is only one of many.

FWIW, I am not a fanatic but I do make it a point to be well informed about issues which affect my livelihood (professional horticulturist) and my environment and to dispute the veracity of wild ass claims made by folks who don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Reply to
Pam - gardengal