Perlite, or...?

Would someone please remind me -- I don't remember the thread-- where an alternative to Perlite was suggested. I have to shop for a soil "lightening"element, and there was a reason given why the alternative was better.
TIA
HB

Vermiculite and Perlite. You can google both and see if ether one meets your needs. I prefer Vermiculite and I buy it large five gallon bags. I find the smaller bags tend be a fine grain to be expensive and useless. I prefer the larger grain that is typically found in larger bags. Perlite may be better for small pots and Vermiculite is probably better for larger containers.
Vermiculite and Perlite are light in weight however they are typically used for retaining water in pots.
To lighten the soil, I prefer "Sphagnum Peat Moss" and cost a lot less money.

Thanks, Nad. There WAS a third alternative mentioned -- something about volcanic? Not sure.
HB

Perlite is from volcanic glass.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-vermiculite-and-perlite.htm

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Would someone please remind me -- I don't remember the thread-- where an alternative to Perlite was suggested. I have to shop for a soil "lightening"element, and there was a reason given why the alternative was better.
TIA
HB === If it was about breathing the dust, probably all of perlite, vermiculite & peat are bad (I think I read peat can contain a fungus). Don your dust mask & wet whatever you use thoroughly first.