Our luck ran out...perhaps

I usually walk about checking our oak tree leaf lines. Sort of a early warning that an oak is in decline since it is easier to take out a sick tree than a dead one. I live in the woods. Today may tree guy tells me I have Oak Scorch and it killed a tree I thought was viral. Seems it is bacterial in nature and attacks ~80 % of the trees on my land. This is a bummer. Luckily we have Pine and White Oaks about and I introduced a few other tress like Hollies, Maples, Cherries, Kousa and others but if this gets on our forest will be a field. Below site is dated 2002.
Bill
http://gloucester.rcre.rutgers.edu/pdfs/pr-2002-1021-bacterialleafscorch . pdf
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
William Wagner wrote:

Can you harvest the timber?

I try to give it away. No one wants Oak unless it is very large. With oil the way it is I'd guess wood stoves may come back and cord wood.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
On 11/29/07 6:14 AM, in article ----- snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net,

For years, our rental unit has had a wood stove. We lived there before kids and we built our house. A clean and well ordered wood stove is a wonderful way to heat.

We had a total electric house built in 1970. KW hours were about .03. In 1972 KW hours went to ~ .14 . Good news the house was well insulated ( not super insulated). Babies were coming and I could not afford the electric so we purchased an Effel Belgian wood stove. Worked great and held over night usually. Added a catalytic device and wood consumption went from 5 cords to 3 .
Currenty gas rules here.
I had 3 solar panels on our roof for hot water but the heat exchangers kept failing putting antifreeze in our house water. So no longer used. I noticed a nearby home has a total voltaic array.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade