OT: Killing the Colorado: Western Water Woes

Kinda quiet around here, so hope you'll allow me to plug an AMAZING investigation by ProPublica into the water problems of the US West (which might be of interest elsewhere as well).
(ProPublica is one of the best, if not THE very best investigative journalism group in the country.)
Foreign friends and US Easterners probably know that the (poor!) Colorado River which had been supplying water needs of the West for many years is just about tapped out due to factors analyzed in four articles.
http://www.propublica.org/
The latest article about the "machines" -- huge, coal-fired pumps -- has the usual pollution health effects -- cancer clusters on Navajo lands, etc.
Articles are long, but well-researched. A lesson in who(m) we elect to Congress.
HB
On 6/16/2015 2:22 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Bringing over a comment from another website:
"Kooks get their news from kooky websites."
On 17/06/2015 4:40 AM, Frank wrote:

I already know you are a kook from the kooky views you hold and espouse and the kooky cites you give.
Hypatia Nachshon wrote: ...

with the recent bout of rains in the Colorado River Basin things are not looking quite so dire as they were. i think the biggest question now is what happens with this winter's El Nino, if California will get any recharge to the groundwater, reservoirs and have even an average snowpack.
my favorite western water person site is:
http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/
he's a recently retired journalist from New Mexico and from his blog many other interesting references are to be found.
for watching Lake Powell, Lake Mead, etc. this is one that is good (but some glitches in spots):
http://www.water-data.com/
songbird
On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 7:48:42 PM UTC-7, songbird wrote:

The bottom line for the Colorado -- and for California's water future -- lies with that cesspool called the US Congress and with the Calif Legislature.
80%% of water is used by agriculture. Featuring Big Ag which grows -- in t he arid Central Valley-- crop$ like cotton (!!!!) and almond$ which require huge amount$ of water.
Of what's left, the Golf Course lobby is alive and well. While non Big Ag farmers are being forced to deplete fossil ground water to grow food, you can send your drone to survey the lush green of the literally hundreds of g olf courses in the desert E. of the Palm Springs area. They deplete ground water AND import water.
If El Nino shows up this winter, it will be a temporary fix. For the long r un, especially factoring in the possible effects of climate change, a shift in cultural awareness is essential -- along with new laws and enforcement with teeth
Santa Monica is more "green" than most cities. Many houses are converting lawns, thanks in part to a subsidy. I must hurry & get my application in b efore they run out of $$.
Meantime my neighbor's defective sprinkler leaks up a storm daily - and the y know it.
HB