OFF TOPIC - help on making bird treats

It is a troop tradition to make bird treats for a holiday tree in the town common. This year, I have a girl with peanut allergies, so there goes the cheap and easy pinecones, peanut butter and bird seed.
I've found recipes using rendered suet/lard, but frankly, none of the leaders have the time to do that.
Would solid vegetable shortening work?
After everyone is at school/work, I'll look for the right bird newsgroup, but you folks are a fount of information.
Thanks a million
Cheryl
-snip-

news:rec.birds is to birds what rec.gardens is to gardens.<g>
My gut says hold on the shortening. I'd go for plain suet-- warm just enough to make it pliable- roll in bird seed.
My birds prefer just plain fresh lard to all the adulterated ones I've tried-- but that doesn't make for a project. . . . unless you just make the 'feeder'-- can be as simple as a nail driven in a board, or as complicated as folding hardware cloth.
Jim
On 11/22/05 7:35 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Found it and thank you!

Sounds over the abilities of first and second graders. :)
I'm looking for extra onion bags right now! Too bad I just finished that huge bag and tossed it. I have 4 potentials, I think I'll be doing lots of onions and shallots for a few days!
Thanks for your help
Cheryl

My kids used peanutbutter and rolled pine cones in bird seed. Tie a red ribbon on before hand. They hung them every where a small kid could reach. This was a family tradition and still is.
Betsy
On 11/22/05 8:27 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com, "BetsyB"

Which would be great EXCEPT if you reread the original post, I have a GS that is ALLERGIC to peanuts.
Cheryl

How about using a real nut butter like almond butter. I've even seen a soy butter. Wonder if the birds would like that....
On 11/22/05 11:28 AM, in article G7KdnUl9aoWn2h7enZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@trueband.net, "Anonny Moose"

Given the nature of her reaction, I'm not putting any nuts with in breathing distance. Soy is a problem also.
If honey isn't a problem I would suggest mixing honey and sunflower seeds and making any shape you prefer and you may want to bake them for a short amount of time. Please do not judge me this is my creative mind at 10:00 PM Have Fun! Happy Thankgiving! Chuckie In the Frozen North Zone 5
On 11/22/05 10:03 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "Chuckie"

Sigh, great idea, not enough time to pull it off. I'd have to get the girls and my co-leaders together at my house and frankly, we adults are just too squeezed for time.
Cheryl

My error but I bet lard would suffice. And if you find it it's cheap and with kids crafts that's a PLUS
BetsyB "Cheryl Isaak" snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote in message
wrote:
-snip- After everyone is at school/work, I'll look for the right bird newsgroup, but you folks are a fount of information.
news:rec.birds is to birds what rec.gardens is to gardens.g Found it and thank you!
My gut says hold on the shortening. I'd go for plain suet-- warm just enough to make it pliable- roll in bird seed.
My birds prefer just plain fresh lard to all the adulterated one I've tried-- but that doesn't make for a project. . . . unless you just make the 'feeder'-- can be as simple as a nail driven in a board, or as complicated as folding hardware cloth.
Jim Sounds over the abilities of first and second graders. :)
I'm looking for extra onion bags right now! Too bad I just finishe that huge bag and tossed it. I have 4 potentials, I think I'll be doin lots of onions and shallots for a few days!
Thanks for your help
Cheryl My kids used peanutbutter and rolled pine cones in bird seed. Tie red ribbon on before hand. They hung them every where a small kid could reach. This was a family tradition and still is.
Betsy
Which would be great EXCEPT if you reread the original post, I have GS that is ALLERGIC to peanuts.
Cheryl My error but I bet lard would suffice. And if you find it it's chea and with kids crafts that's a PLUS
here is a web site that might help u out http://tinyurl.com/8uqcp
yup we used to do the pinecone idea as mentioned :) when the kids wer younger also. but we did two kinds one with peanut butter and the othe we rolled the pinecone in lard, then in bird seed and then we hung i using ribbon. maybe the lard and seed one might work for ya. good luck. sockiescat
-- sockiescat

Yes, but it's not as hard as the animal fat so not quite as good for that purpose imho. Why not just buy those blocks of purified animal fat rendered for cooking (just like the veg shortening ones)... here in the UK those are often cheaper than vegetable "lard".
I just made some bird treats last week, melted (animal) fat mixed with rolled oats and an old packet of dried currants and sultanas (the sort you buy for making cakes). You could also use crumbs made from old bread run through a food processor. Or buy grain wheat very cheaply ( sold in pet stores and farm suppliers, for feeding hens and pigeons).
Janet
Here's a link to some recipes that do not necessarily require peanut butter.
Jacqui

Of course it's always helpful to actually include the link! http://www.birdhobbyist.com/articles/HolidayTreats.html
Jacqui

On 11/22/05 1:29 PM, in article
wrote:

That could be useful! Thanks!
Cheryl
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I'm curious if birds have traditionally come to feast on these traditional treats? It always seems to take a while to get birds into the habit of coming to feed in a particular spot, and every cute holiday birdfood project I've been involved in has pretty much struck out with the intended patrons. Of course, if your town common is populated by the Common Cafe-Cruising Crumbsnatcher, they might be a little easier to lure in.
On 11/22/05 5:14 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, "DrLith"

Having done clean up (about 2 weeks later) lots of stuff is gone. What ate it is unknown. I'd bet on squirrels, chipmunks and crows.
Cheryl
I don't see your location...can you get hold of some crabapples or mountain ash berries? Various birds will eat those and they'd look good hanging on an evergreen tree too. Many stores that sell seeds for wild birds also carry a selection of suet cakes that don't contain any nuts (if you trust the manufacturer).
Forget the vegetable based shortening. Birds eat animal fats, including butter!
BT

BT I don't see your location...can you get hold of some crabapples o
mountain ash berries? Various birds will eat those and they'd look good hanging o an evergreen tree too. Many stores that sell seeds for wild birds als carry a selection of suet cakes that don't contain any nuts (if you trust the manufacturer).
Forget the vegetable based shortening. Birds eat animal fats including butter!
BT
"Cheryl Isaak" snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote in message
It is a troop tradition to make bird treats for a holiday tree in th town common. This year, I have a girl with peanut allergies, so there goe the cheap and easy pinecones, peanut butter and bird seed.
I've found recipes using rendered suet/lard, but frankly, none of the leaders have the time to do that.
Would solid vegetable shortening work?
After everyone is at school/work, I'll look for the right bir newsgroup, but you folks are a fount of information.
Thanks a million
Cheryl
here ya go i hope this answers your question about the shortenin verses the lard question. have fun making your bird treats and goo luck. http://www.sialis.org/suet.htm sockiescat
-- sockiescat