Novice has Landscaping Question?

We have a small gargae type building in urban NYC... and next to it is a plot of land(part of the property) which gets a lot of sun. We're converting the garge to resedentail/studio space and would LOVE to landscape the empty land. (it's about 60 feet x 20 feet)... with some trees, shrubs..bit of grass etc. QUESTION. can you begin a landscasping project like this in late JULY... or do we have to wait till next SPRING?

thanx for suggestions!!

Reply to
jeffrey lohn

snipped-for-privacy@nyc.rr.com (jeffrey lohn) wrote in news:jlohn-

1107051113180001@192.168.2.5:

If you're truly doing it by yourself, you could take the time now to prepare the soil really well, and then plant in the fall or early spring '06. You'll find the best selection of plant material in early spring.

Soil prep would might include solarizing and amending thoroughly, as well as general litter pickup and hardscape improvements.

Reply to
David Bockman

Although you can plant anytime, there is usually a lot of extra TLC needed at this time of year. If it is hot (like it is today in NYC), plants go through tremendous stress.

I would wait till spring. You could do it in the fall if you can't wait until spring. In the meantime, it would be a good time to prep the soil. I think adding ammendments, tilling them in (by hand or machine), then letting the bed sit until spring would be the way to go.

Reply to
Jack

Hi

You can do your landscaping from now til fall. Prior to plants being potted they were bare roots and only available in the early spring.

Potted plants extend the landscaping season. Enjoy your new landscaped area.

Derryl Horticulturalist

Reply to
Derryl

Fall can be a great time to plant and you can often find deep discounts on trees and shrubs because nurseries don't want to carry them over until spring. This is a good time to come up with a design and prep the area.

Reply to
Vox Humana

The other responders have covered most of it for you. However, I see no mention of grass. I find that late summer or fall is the best time to start new lawn. There is no weed competition and the cool nights are great for the new lawn.

Be sure to cover the new seed with straw and water, water, water. Never let the seeds or new grass sprouts dry out.

You will be rewarded in the spring with lush new lawn that can form the base for any other landscaping you choose.

JMHO

John

Reply to
John Bachman

After you check the soil for contaniments you can begin amending it and probably plant a cover crop now and again in the fall. You will have to turn it under before it goes to seed.

I'm not familiar with the weather conditions there so I can't advise on what plants might do well at this time of year if there are any.

Reply to
Travis

THANK YOU ALL... for your very helpful suggestions!!!

Reply to
jeffrey lohn