Blank Slate Landscaping Question

When an area becomes really overgrown (and includes invasives like Ailanthus and Oriental Bittersweet) is there any real remedy except to tear it up with a backhoe and start from scratch?

I have an area of my yard that is totally overgrown in yukka plants,periwinkl, Ailanthus, Oriental Bittersweet, and Wysteria (and a few others) and I just don't know what to do with it. I haven't yet acquired the landscaping "vision". Any ideas?

-Chess

Reply to
chessaurus

Yes, there are alternatives that are much more considerate of the tilth and aeration of the existing soil. Google 'solarizing soil' or 'solarization' for great ideas.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

I can't think that way. I would go about with a paint brush and a bottle of Roundup, and start to selectively kill the stuff I am sure I don't want (by painting leaves). After three weeks pull dead plants, see what picture emerges, kill a few more, see if it improves, consider a trellis for wisteria in the background, etc. I'd suppose a periwinkle cover could be desirable, as would some of the best specimens of yucca or wisteria, depending on size and location. They are there, free of charge and healthy, well adapted to the site, so why waste them.

Reply to
simy1

Chess, A wonderful idea would be to turn that overgrown area into a Water Garden or Pond. You could get several other possibilities if you go and wonder around the website

Some of the best pricing on Water Garden equipment is at

I hope this helps, Norman

Reply to
normantci