New show on PBS, P. Allen Smith?

Page 1 of 2
I noticed a new gardening show, P. Allen Smith garden on PBS and it also seems to be in syndication on an abc affiliate here in the twin cities. So far, the shows seem to focus on classic garden design in the most traditional sense. The guy looks sort of like the John Tesh of gardening, but he has had a few good project suggestions and ideas so I will keep watching. Better than watching reruns of Victory Garden, which has gotten really pretty boring of late anyway.
mm
the one I loved was the Perennial Gardener with a gray haired lady and it seemed to come out of Minnesota or somewhere midwestern. We got it when Direct TV provided random PBS links to the station. Now that the option is gone, I am forced to get my local PBS which is fine most times, but haven't had the privilege of seeing that neat show. I had to stop watching Victory Garden for the first time in decades because I'm almost always scheduled to work on Saturdays. It hasn't the same feel since Roger Swain left and Russell Morash quit producing it. We won't get a flame started about Marion and her cooking. It's been done adn I'm aware that not everyone liked Marion. What I really miss is on Saturdays when I can't see Gardener's Diary with Erica Glasner on HGTV. And since the new year, they've changed the programming. Two Garden Guys which was rather unique, is no longer airing. They've moved up the garden shows in time, and I still haven't seen sign of rerunning Gardener's Diary for people who miss it's first run Saturdays. That it's repeats is fine for now, I've missed a lot of them over the last season due to my schedule, but that it's now airing at 1:30 instead of 3:30 is a bit of a stretch for me. I'll adjust somehow.
With Squire gone on the road now, there won't be thoughtful reecordings of it for me when I get home on Saturdays. And oldest son doesn't always pay attention to the clock when he's plugged in upstairs on the computer.
and I still wish Barbara Damrosch and her husband, Elliot Coleman would produce another "Gardening Naturally" show. It's more revelent now than it ever was. I watched it regularly on Discovery when it ran for those two or three years. .It was one of the best put out besides the Victory Garden at that time. Another good one was Backyard Gardening but Pat Simpson now has moved on and has a show on HGTV about Before and After. He used to be the projects guy for garden things on that show. Don't know what happened to the host of that show either. They come and go......
So I stick to Gardening by the yard when I remember it's airing early. Gardener's Diary which is my absolute favorite now, and keep hoping they bring back Gardener's Journal which was the Canadian show that was awesome too. That one kinda slipped away last year on HGTV. PBS needs to take stock that there are still gardeners out there needing uninterrupted quality garden shows on the weekend! (I'd even watch on Sunday! It's bad enough they rerun Lawrence Welk here on our PBS every Saturday evening......) madgardener up on the very foggy ridge, back in Fairy Holler, unable to see English Mountain as it's socked in with clouds and fog, in Eastern TEnnessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

So
You should have your own show MG, how cool would that be?

I wouldn't want the job of editing that script down to 60 minutes! ;)
You got that right!! (you should run into me in Outside Lawn and Garden at the Lowe's I work at! <GBSEG> maddie

bah, just think, you wouldn't even have to edit (too much), just put some breaks in and you could film an entire season's worth of show in one sitting!
And considering some of the lame stuff they show on TV these days, you could easily make something 100x better.

I suppose the PBS could run one episode for their entire two week pledge marathon!
alright, ya'll are ganging up on me........no fair.......ZHANNNNNN?? They're picking on me! <G>
I realize I DO ramble on sometimes. or rather in the words of Squire "honey, you go into way too much DETAIL!!!!!" madgardener

some

"honey,
Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes my eyes glaze over when I see how much is written. I guess my attention span has decreased due to the sound-bite mentality of the media.

Don't holler for me. I read what she wrote as a compliment for you. But Squire's right about detail. Might I add I'd like a period once in a while. <BSEG>
zhan
But I LIKE your postings! I wouldn't call them ramblings.... for ramblings you would have to go off on tangents that have absolutely nothing to do with what you initially began with or the topic on hand ... I mean if you started talking basketball and such then I might get a tad bored but then again given that the Knicks may be coming back to life it might not be terrible... but I really don't care for sports all that much.. or cars.... though my son REALLY likes cars and is trying to talk us into getting some X5Z12 something or other of that like for our next car and I've informed him that we keep our cars for at least ten years which means that he probably doesn't want a car that old when we get it... AND I don't think I'll be up to driving a X500Y80Z200 at that age....
DKat

are ye sayin' sir that I tend to ramble on a bit?? <GBSEG> I'm startin' to worry that it's getting WORSE as I gets older. Lord help us all........I wasn't raised a rude child........
Are ye implyin' sir that I needs to muzzel me mouth better? <EG> (sitting here waiting for Cereoid to swoop down and take the opportunity to hit me with a "zinger" ;)
madgardener, having to use Squire's computer- since during the daytime the ISDN line doesn't want to work for my computer thru the networking set up. I suspect it might be the pulsing electrical surges of the electrified wire that's a bit close to the phone box in the pasture my neighbor's BIL is using for his cows. :(

hey now, I'm not saying anything you haven't already admitted to yourself! See here:
Mental note: If going Outside Lawn and Garden at MG's Lowe's, don't forget to have getaway plan ready.
Anyway, it's not a bad thing ... unless you've got a bunch of fairies flitting about your garden without any ears ("that MG, she'll talk yer ear off") ... well then, just then I will just have to report you to PETF.
ROFLMAO.................Fairies, flowers and middle-aged Southern women with obsessive gardening tendencies........oh oh wait, better yet, "Home for wayward fairies, loony and obsessive gardeners" <GBSEG> yer too kind sugar! ((hug)) madgardener up on the chilly ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, where we're back to winter, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

[...]

Gardener's Diary is my favorite too, and has been for some time. I missed it last weekend because I hadn't noticed the time change but got it yesterday (I always tape it and watch it later). Gardener's Journal is now being shown at 7 AM Monday through Friday. They're all repeats I think, but it's nice to have the program available again.
Richard in Northern California
On 1/18/04 2:07 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com,

I really didn't like either of these to start, but when in dire of need of a garden, I'd watch. I slowly came to love both.
I really like Paul James - light, campy even, with out being dumb or worse talking down to the viewer.
Cheryl
Gardener's Journal and Gardener's Diary were also my favorite shows. Back when HGTV first started it had a lot of garden shows but then they seemed to be entirely taken over by southern tacky decoration and crafts shows. Now I rarely find either showing when I can watch them. DKat
says...

awesome
it
(I
at 7

have
What I don't understand is how they think these generic shows will fit anywhere but California, Atlanta or Canada. I know those are highly populated regions, but there's a whole continent North America!
I'd love if they would have shows more specific for more selections of zones and regions.
I don't mind the make-over garden shows, but when you hear, "she only has a $20,000 dollar budget..." I want to puke. Shit, if I spent that much in my backyard I'd have the Taj Mahal! It always seems that what these people get for their money is sparse, at best.
I'm glad I'm a gardener and still young enough to do a lot of the work, myself.
Victoria

anywhere
regions,
zones and

... and how many times do these people pick the WORST of the three designs on that "Landscaper's Challenge" show on HGTV?

Well, the one I saw this past weekend showed a single woman and they built her an outdoor fireplace and painted it this disgusting color yellow. This design was somehow supposed to represent her Italian heritage. I can see terra cotta, but the designer though since he gave her Rosemary 'Tuscany Blue' it was a Tuscan garden. NOT!
Eh.