New guy needs help!

Howdy,

Im the new guy, I live in a real dry part of the south and I got quesiton for y'all about my tomoatos. Ive been growing tomoatos fo about 4 years not but recentl I started to notice these little gree

*******s runnin up an down the plant, and they are making it sick.

My buddy says that If I use human **** on the critters they will g away, is there another alternative, coz I also wana eat the tomoatos.

Thanks for all help.

And

Reply to
gardentard

gardentard;776980]Howdy,

Im the new guy, I live in a real dry part of the south and I got quesiton for y'all about my tomoatos. Ive been growing tomoatos fo about 4 years not but recentl I started to notice these little gree

*******s runnin up an down the plant, and they are making it sick.

My buddy says that If I use human **** on the critters they will g away, is there another alternative, coz I also wana eat the tomoatos.

Thanks for all help.

Andy

andy u dont give us much to go on in order to answer your question. fo example are these critters worms or bugs--yup i know u say that they ar

running up and down the plant but still need either a pic or mor information in order to help at all :( . if its a tomato horn worm u can pick them off by hand using glove because u dont want to get stung by their stinger that sticks up on th back of their tail area.

here is a link on the tomato bug
i hope that this helps u but if not then try to get a pic of them if can. good luck. cyaaaaa, sockiescat :)

Reply to
sockiescat

sockiescat wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk:

tomato hornworms do not & *cannot* "sting". you can pick them off with your fingers. they won't hurt you. however, in the interests of accuracy, those big green caterpillers on your tomatoes are actually tobacco hornworms... they can't sting either. & they turn into really cool moths. i grow sacrificial tomato plants just for the hornworms. lee

Reply to
enigma

You just go out in the morning, look for the bastids, and pick them off by hand.

Assume these are the tomato hornworms, they have what looks like a big eye in front and a fake stinger in the back. Totally harmless to you.

The thing is, you want to get them while they're small, before they've eaten half a plant and damaged a bunch of tomatoes. They start as tiny green eggs, little balls about 1/32" in diameter under the leaves. These hatch into tiny hornworms, 1/16" or smaller. They grow to about four inches, as you've probably seen.

They do turn into kewl moths, about the size of hummingbirds! But I wouldn't encourage you to let them, they'll just be back next year to lay a hundred more eggs on your garden.

There are some insecticides you can try, but in a small garden, just doing them by hand is probably best.

Tomatoes also attract inchworms and other smaller critters, same deal for them.

J.

Reply to
zzznot