New Garden equipment for your use

Page 1 of 2
http://www.grassstitcher.com/affiliates/uid/thulamswathi
visit the above link and you will get more details
In article
: http://www.grassstitcher.com/affiliates/uid/thulamswathi
Interesting, but seems way overpriced. You should be able to less expensive cultivators and aerators for same results.

My thought. Clearly spam but gives ideas.
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 04:36:42 -0700 (PDT), Frank

That tool looks very well made compared to similar ones I've seen. I have a similar tool (Garden Weasel) that does shallow cultivating and weeding that is not nearly as well made as that one but is very useful for small areas when I don't feel like hauling out my Mantis, the Mantis has a aerating/dethatching attachment that I'd seriously consider for a smallish lawn... every gardener needs a Mantis, best gardening investment ever... it tills my 50' X 50' vegetable garden more than 8" deep with as much effort as walking a small dog.
That one looks like a *serious* Garden Weasel. I would suggest getting a Garden Weasel and using it some before deciding on a more heavy duty more expensive model. However these things definitely won't work on compacted never before tilled soil but they are excellent for rejuvenating previously worked small areas. I wouldn't use it for trying to improve a long neglected lawn but it does an excellent job of shallow aerating and light dethatching of well maintained turf. These tools are not tillers... they are cultivators... I'd not want to use it for more than an occasional hour it's not at all ergonomic, it's a wrist killer. As to price, everything is expensive nowadays... by today's standards $100 at the garden center is chump change. But I think the Mantis is a true bargain, and before renting a power aerator/dethatcher (I don't for one second believe that several neighbors share one rental for the day) I'd definitely own the Mantis attachment... it would certainly tend a 1/4 acre lawn without much effort but would probably be an all day job, maybe two days... and after thatching (by any method) there is still a LOT of raking. For a larger area I'd want an implement for my tractor.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://mantis.com/attachments.asp

My one reservation about Grass Stitcher is plastic teeth. The only Amazon review complains of them breaking.
While I agree that $99 is not an astronomical sum these days, it is clearly above average for such manual tools and the use of plastic is perplexing.
The company reps have explained to me that their special plastic is more suitable than metal. That metal was tried first and chipped or broke. Sure, but they must have used cheap metal. :) When I look at the best industrial practices---agricultural equipment, construction equipment, pruners, drills, etc., they all use metal rather than plastic---it just doesn't make sense.
BTW, re Mantis, you mentioned the dethatching "attachment". So there is a main unit this attaches to. How much does that cost? Is it gas powered? My apologies, but I have no experience with anything but simple manual equipment. Does it make sense for an urban lawn_garden totaling no more than 1500 sq ft?

I fear that you need to keep on Googling, and keep reading until, at least, the sites start to repeat themselves.
--
- Billy
On 9/29/2010 9:19 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I received a Garden Weasel as a gift and found it practically useless for the lawn. Gave it to Good Will.
: I received a Garden Weasel as a gift and found it practically useless : for the lawn. Gave it to Good Will.
What do you use for tilling/dethatching/aerating?
In a perfect example of mission creep, I started out by expecting to find mechanical dethatcher and aerator for around $20-$30 each, then I found Grass Stitcher for $100, and now I am reading about Mantis which will probably add up to $500-$600 for all attachments. :)
Not really sure what makes sense in the long run for a 1000 sqft lawn. I looked at the soil and it seemed quite compactified. Lots of brown areas, although thatch is not too thick.
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

Seek help.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

I do have help, a 7' mower, A/C, stereo, cruise control. etc.
Brooklyn1 wrote:

Peculiar therapy. You would be better talking to some horses or cattle while they cut the grass.
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:09:38 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

Believe me, if they could be trained to mow neatly I would... that's been one of my fantasys, ovines that can be set to mow everything equally at a two inch height. Todate the best I've been able to do is train deer to prune the lower portion of trees to precisely 66" off the ground... I'd really like them to do 72", I'm tired of getting a bloody nose.
Brooklyn1 wrote:

Sheep don't have much personality. But you could get the crook and poke bonnet on ebay I am sure.
Todate the best I've been able to do is

Could you give them a box to stand on?
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

I mow six acres. I have a 5' zero turn commercial mower, fast, shock absorbers, open air, $8,000 US. IPod connected to noise reduction headset listening to Lady Gaga.
1000sf lawn' A small pair of scissors should mow the yard in short time :)
--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 00:10:53 +0000 (UTC), Dan L

If all I had was a 1,000 sq ft area to mow I'd level it by laser, get me a greens mower and use it as a billiards table.
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GT/series/gt_wbgm_series.html
: Newbie wrote: : > : >Not really sure what makes sense in the long run for a 1000 sqft lawn. : >I looked at the soil and it seemed quite compactified. Lots of brown : >areas, although thatch is not too thick. : : 1,000 sf isn't really a lawn, that's a small grassy patch.... my ranch : house with two car attached garage is nearly 3,000 sf, my veggie : garden is 2,500 sf, I mow 10 acres of lawn every week To be perfectly : honest were it me I would most definitely hire a weekly lawn : service.... why bother with all the investment in tools and equipment, : storage, maintenence, and worry your brain over this when for less : money and zero stress you don't need to do much of anything but : water... and for that dwarfish patch (that I can water by urinating) : I'd install an automatic sprinkler...
For something I don't enjoy, eg, house cleaning or snow shoveling, I do hire help. OTOH, garden/lawn I enjoy and am trying to learn to do myself. I don't mind collecting properly chosen equipment that would be useful in the long run.
Watering is not an issue.
Brooklyn1 wrote:

You need some stock.
David
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:04:40 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

I have plenty of stock, from hummingbirds to black bear and everything betwixt... a regular Noah's Ark.

If so I have one share.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

A small rake when I need to dethatch. I've never aerated. I believe in minimum maintanence which means frequent mowing with mulching mower, little fertilizer and water.