Need help identifying weed

I have an infestation of this plant in my flower beds and it's now spilling over into my lawn. I need to eradicate it, but would like to identify it so I use the right method. I've surfed the web for common weeds, and I can't find anything exactly like this.
Photo:
http://www.camfriends.org/users/clintp/weed.jpg
I'm in the Detroit area. The plant is about 2-3 inches tall and grows in a dense and spreading cluster. Each 3-leaf cluster grows from an individual stem that goes into the ground. It seems to thrive in sun or shade, and spreads very very quickly.
The leaves *look* like parsley, but the rest of the plant has no similarities at all. The plant itself looks like clover, but the leaves are wrong.
Thank you!
Hmmm.. Your picture is very scientific. Have you sequenced its DNA. lol! Perhaps a picture of the whole plant, still in the ground, would be easyer to ID.
--
peter_may_day

http://www.aces.edu/Tallapoosa/weed-control/ground-ivy.htm I pull it and spot spray. It's a real pest. Frank
It doesn't look at all like "Ground Ivy".
Note the leaf is three lobed unlike those unlobed ones of your you know what.
Your reckless misidentification is proof that we need to see the whole plant. Nobody can identify a plant with any certainty from a single leaf. A picture of it with flowers would be especially helpful.
Having said that, my money would be on Ranunculus bulbosa or R.repens. Anybody want to double down?

If you were in the UK I would say Buttercup
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

nice day ;) Frank
Oh Franko, don't be such a prissy fuss pot.
Be man enough to admit you made an obvious mistake and don't make a complete fool of yourself by being so petty.
Its bad enough you can't tell the difference between a buttercup and "ground ivy". I bet nobody would dare sent you out grocery shopping. Who knows what you would bring back?!!!!

Clinton A. Pierce wrote:

It looks like it might be Buttercup. Did you see small yellow blooms on it in the spring? If so, it is definitely Buttercup. It blooms mainly in the spring and it spreads like crazy.
I had an area where it was growing them and decided to turn that area into a spot for annuals and (thought) I dug all of them out. For several seasons after that I was digging them out and still see one pop up now and then.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

After looking closely at many, many pictures on the web you are correct: it is a buttercup. To back this up:
* It's growing in my flower bed and lawn where the downspouts empty out. According to everything I've just read buttercup thrives in moist environments. * It had a very, very few small yellow flowers in the early spring (I forgot about those!). For maybe a 6 sq. foot area, maybe a half-dozen flowers.
And it does indeed spread like crazy.
Now I can do some looking around to see how to get rid of it.
Thank you!
http://horticulture.unh.edu/text/PreSchool/Weeding.pdf
--
peter_may_day