Need help identifying herbs

Page 2 of 2
Charlie expounded:

Yea, I'd say the first one was echinacea. The rest????
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

3a looks like a mint on the left and maybe lavender or tarragon on the right.
Brush your fingers on the leaves and see what those plants smell like.
Mints normally (always?) have square stems.
Jan
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Yeah, your right Jan, it does look like a mint (square stem and all) but it doesn't have a mint smell and it's not "self-heal". Another feature of it is that the first couple of inches at the base of the stem is cherry red, as are a few of the lower leaves. As for the other plant, I have tarragon growing in the garden already and the two look identical EXCEPT the unknown has a light grassy flavor (?) and the tarragon tastes like tarragon. Secondly, the unknown has opposing leaves which rotate at right angles up and down the stem, whereas the tarragon has a single leaf that rotates at 170 degrees (or 190 degrees, depending on how you look at it), up and down the stem. It is unlikely, but possible, that some of these herbs are culinary but most likely they are medicinal.
Herb 2 also kinda looks like tarragon except for the varying hues of red on some of it's leaves.
Meanwhile, my grasses are in. One of the Plantago ovata suffered some grazing damage (the culpable is unknown) and the omega flax is sprouting. Horizon Herbs never did give me any reason why they thought that this flax was higher in omega-3s than common flax. The bitter melons are laid out in front of their trellis along with a Gynostemma pentaphyllum (Jiaogulan). The peas are just petering along. They should love the heat (or lack of same). They get daily waterings. They have been in the ground for about a month. Some are 6" high, and others are doing better at about 3'. Planted a bird-house gourd vine at the end of the peas. I figure they (the peas) probably only have another six weeks to go before it gets too hot for them. The cucumbers are just staring at me and, just sit there. Zukes are in but they haven't shown much development yet either. Tomatoes are all in, except for a few more that I want to find space for. The tomatoes and corn have been the most responsive plants in the garden, which I find surprising, considering the temps. It didn't break 70 F yesterday. We have been having morning fog and high clouds, comfortable afternoons and, cool evening (by local standards).
The bees are here. Saw at least a dozen yesterday. They are all over the violets. We have humming birds that feed on our Chinese lanterns. Now if I could just think of a way to get rid of the blue jays and encourage a mocking bird to move in. Any kind of song bird would be nice.
Keep your fingers dirty.
- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Did you plant bee-balm? It has a sq. stem IIRC and it won't have a mint smell.
On Thu, 31 May 2007 18:50:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

You are right, stem is square, I just went outside and looked. But the leaves have a light scent reminiscent of catnip? The leaf stems are opposite each other.
Charlie
Charlie wrote in wrote:

them
mint

Opposite leaves are a trait of the mint family as is the square stem, as far as I can recall without actually going out and checking out the garden. Did you plant catnip? Or maybe cat mint? I can't see the pics so I'm just guessing, of course.
On Thu, 31 May 2007 20:16:47 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

No, it was bee balm, at least that was what the labeling said it was. I have gotten mislabeled pots before. It is not flowering yet, I planted it late last year (one of those really late sales at garden center) and it didn't bloom last summer.
I'll go take a pic and put it up on abp.gardens.
Done.
Crap.....I was/ am in a hurry. The photos are friggin' huge, I forgot to reset the camera or resize the jpg. the first time. The second post is a little smaller, but still kinda large. Two shots per message.
Charlie
Charlie wrote in [..]

I can't get abpg. I've asked XNews to get it but it's not up yet. At least the ID problem is solved!

Thing is the base of my stalks are pink and if you look closely you will see five or six pink leaves. No obvious mint smell or taste to the leaves. - Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Frag, mint it is but I can't find a description that mentions pink leaves (most are green) or lower stalks being pink. I really thought you had it because I unsuccessfully started some last year. So it is a very good guess. I don't think it could have crossed with anything in the yard because it never got to flower. It's getting late. I'll re-examen tomorrow.
Thanks, - Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum