Need advice on trimming back Rhodos for a fence

I planted about 10 small rhodos years ago on my side of the property line between my and my neighbors common back yard. The plants are now six to nine feet high and spread a bit over the line onto my neighbors side. The plants are beautiful and made a great natural yard divider but they now want to install a fence and we have to cut back some of the rhodos on their side.

There's nothing I can do about this, but I was looking for advise on how and where to prune and if there are things to do or to avoid doing to minimize shock and damage to the plants. I gave the plants some HollyTone about two or three weeks ago.

I have about two weeks (until mid June) to prune. Flowering is done and I'm in South Jersey.

Thanks!

Ted

Reply to
Ted S

Now is the time to do it. If you wait until mid-summer you will loose next year's flowers. I would start by putting stretching a string line where you need to prune. Prune just inside that line. Then go back and prune a little more to make the plants a little more presentable. You don't want large limbs to go up to the fence and stop. To make it easier on yourself, I would leave enough room so you can get between the plant and the fence to prune the plant to keep it from growing through the fence.

If the plants are otherwise healthy, your applying fertilizer doesn't serve much purpose. It is forcing the plant to produce new growth that will be cut off. Since it is early in the season, the plant will regain the strength it spends on this activity.

For more info on pruning rhododendrons, visit:

Stephen Henning

Thanks for the Rhodo pruning advise. I will take your advise and do it as soon as possible although I don't see how it will matter if the side I prune will not have flowers next year since it will the side against a fence (and facing the neighbors, not my side).

Ted

Reply to
Ted S

Forming flower buds takes energy away from the plant. If you prune before the buds are formed, you will get a much nicer plant facing your side of the fence, denser foliage and more bigger flowers.

Reply to
Stephen Henning