Mystery Plant!

http://cards.webshots.com/cp-99330986-NASX-album/343915986jGrvsy
That link leads to some pictures of a plant that came with my house. I can't identify it. Leaves look like carrot or parsley or even a fern (sort of), stem growth habit is similar to fennel. The plant remained lively through the entire winter, surrounded by snow, in temps down to zero. But, it seems like a tender plant that should not have survived under those conditions. It's now 4 feet tall. What is it???
Doug Kanter wrote:

It looks as Conium maculatum, poisonous, if it has some kind strong smell when you take one leaf and smell it that is possible that. It's a weed.
Take a look at this link for giant hogweed. Don't get the sap on you until you ID it http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/hogweed.htm if you don't trust my link google "Giant Hogweed"

Thanks for the link. Funny, though: For such an alarming plant, you'd think they could've posted a good closeup photo of leaf detail. :-)

That's not the plant, though. Check this out: http://www.hort.uconn.edu/cipwg/giant_hogweed.html
On 5/12/05 3:56 PM, in article CxOge.1081$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny, "Doug

Could it be a salad burnet? My other thought is a tansy, but the leaves aren't quite right.
Cheryl
Doug Kanter said:

seems

I think it's a member of the Parsley family.
The leaves look too finely divided to be wild parsnip or hogweed or lovage.
My best guess would be poison hemlock.
If you let it go to flower, that would help with an ID

It sure looks like it, doesn't it, especially the way the new stems come out of the previous ones. Just....50 times bigger in all dimensions.

Yeah....the hogweed leaves seem to be more palmate, like oak or maple.

Oh great....pass the ammo. :-)

We shall see. I'll be emailing pictures to the nearest NY DEC office today.
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

That is indeed what it is. If Doug wants to emulate Socrates, he can now.
Doug Kanter wrote:

It kind of looks like a Parsnip.

USDA Zone 8

Yeah, it does, but it's starting to look more and more like poison hemlock, as someone else suggested. I'm sending the pictures to the NY DEC for assistance.

hemlock,
That was my impression also. I don't know if people are becoming more aware of it or if it just starting to take-off in SW Ohio, but there have been warnings about it on the news the last couple of years. As I recall, it gets white flowers. It definitely isn't tansy as I made the mistake of starting that from seed and spent about three years getting rid of it.