Mystery Plant!

link leads to some pictures of a plant that came with my house. I can't identify it. Leaves look like carrot or parsley or even a fern (sort of), stem growth habit is similar to fennel. The plant remained lively through the entire winter, surrounded by snow, in temps down to zero. But, it seems like a tender plant that should not have survived under those conditions. It's now 4 feet tall. What is it???

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It looks as Conium maculatum, poisonous, if it has some kind strong smell when you take one leaf and smell it that is possible that. It's a weed.

Reply to
extincted

Take a look at this link for giant hogweed. Don't get the sap on you until you ID it

you don't trust my link google "Giant Hogweed"

Reply to
bamboo

Thanks for the link. Funny, though: For such an alarming plant, you'd think they could've posted a good closeup photo of leaf detail. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

That's not the plant, though. Check this out:

Doug Kanter

Could it be a salad burnet? My other thought is a tansy, but the leaves aren't quite right.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I think it's a member of the Parsley family.

The leaves look too finely divided to be wild parsnip or hogweed or lovage.

My best guess would be poison hemlock.

If you let it go to flower, that would help with an ID

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

It sure looks like it, doesn't it, especially the way the new stems come out of the previous ones. Just....50 times bigger in all dimensions.

Yeah....the hogweed leaves seem to be more palmate, like oak or maple.

Oh great....pass the ammo. :-)

We shall see. I'll be emailing pictures to the nearest NY DEC office today.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

That is indeed what it is. If Doug wants to emulate Socrates, he can now.

Reply to
simy1

It kind of looks like a Parsnip.

Reply to
Travis

Yeah, it does, but it's starting to look more and more like poison hemlock, as someone else suggested. I'm sending the pictures to the NY DEC for assistance.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

That was my impression also. I don't know if people are becoming more aware of it or if it just starting to take-off in SW Ohio, but there have been warnings about it on the news the last couple of years. As I recall, it gets white flowers. It definitely isn't tansy as I made the mistake of starting that from seed and spent about three years getting rid of it.

Reply to
Vox Humana