mystery flower

I posted a picture on rec.binaries.pictures.gardens of a flower (header: mystery flower) that I bought at a green market in NYC. 8-10" slender-stemmed, orange and red petals, ball-like flower head, narrow leaves, prolific in full sun. Can I collect seeds from it?
Thanks.

There was no picture associated with that post, but your description sounds a bit like Gaillardia. Does it look anything like this?
http://www.tsflowers.com/gaillardia_fanfare.jpg
pam - gardengal

That's what I too thought it might be Pam Emilie
Can you get viable seed from cut flowers? NO.

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:41:24 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

Why not? If an already-polinated flower survives in water and forms a seedhead, why would those seeds be inferior to any other?
Don't be so naive. Plants need much more complex nutrients than just plain water to produce mature fertile seeds. Cutting off the supply of the necessary nutrients causes the developing ovules (if any) to abort. The cut flowers are pretreated by the florist by soaking them in a bleach solution that does just that.
Most florist cut flowers are single clones that are usually not self-fertile anyway.
BTW, its spelled "pollinated".
wrote

Cereus-validus wrote:

plain
I've saved and germinated seed from florist spider chrysanthemum, planted them in the garden and viola! Beautiful fall mums!
Highly recommended!
The Hawke