My redbud problem? ? ?

Earlier today I posted an inquiry about how to get rid of a weed which my wife calls a redbud, but I don't think that's right. Others think it may be Japanese knotweed.

I have put together a small web page which shows a photo of the weed. I welcome anyone to have a look and see if you can advise me. The link is as follows:

Ray Jenkins

Brian

Thanks Brian -- That's peculiar. I clicked the link, and it opened right away.

Are you using Internet Explorer browser? I find that sometimes Netscape Mozilla won't open pages correctly.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

That's because it's reading it from your computer. Look at the path to your image file: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/weed/weed.jpg You need to put your photo on your web server, and link from it there.

Reply to
Nora

Nora

Appears to be one of the Polygonum weeds (aka smartweed, mexican bamboo, japanese knotweed, mile-a-minute weed). These noxious weeds are in the buckwheat family and are annuals. Control can be achieved by persistent pulling and mowing to keep them from going to seed. sed5555

Reply to
Sed5555

Do you recognize the weed?

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

cuspidatum. This is not an annual but a perennial weed that can become shrubby in time. Pulling is not the answer - you can actually increase its spread by inadvertantly leaving portions of the root rhizomes either above or underground. This is a plant that calls for and responds to herbicide applications, typically repeat applications. As mentioned previously, control is not easy, but you don't appear to have a huge problem.....yet. This link may help:

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

I am currently battling this persistent weed. If this is all you have, get rid of it now, before its too late. I can't believe how hard it is to kill. I do admit that I was a bit lax last year, but I've learned my lesson. I'm starting early and will stay with it till its gone.

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck

Reply to
Brian

The message from "Brian" contains these words:

And that's despite the fact that it doesn't spread by seed in the UK. The nation-wide infestation is supposed to have originated from one plant. It can erupt through concrete :-(

One of my sons moved into an Edinburgh tenement flat where the small walled garden was solid, head-high JK. It took four years, but we managed to eradicate it by first, chopping down and burning all the plants, then cutting off and destroying every single new stem as it emerged, **before it could develop any new leaves**.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

Thanks Pam -- the web site looks good.

My problem is much worse than it looks. The main infestation is just behind the fence, in my neighbor's yard, and he seems to have no inclination to control it.

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

Posting web pages is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. You must first have an ISP (mine is Verizon) which gives you personal web space. The you need an editing tool -- Mozilla's Composer is good. And then you need SmartFTP for uploading and managing.

That photo was not scanned, by the way, but shot with my digital camera.

problem.....yet.

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

neighour would have to take action. Meanwhile use Roundup on all your side of the fence and possibly the effect could spread to his side if there is only one common root system. An altrnative is to approach your neighbour and discuss a cooperative effort. Best Wishes. Brian 'flayb' to respond.

problem.....yet.

Reply to
Brian

I'd be very surprised if this was not considered a noxious weed where you are located - it is listed as such pretty well anywhere in the US that it grows. If so, your neighbor may be required to remove this pest. Contact your local authority with the responsibilty for controlling alien plant species - most likely the state department of agriculture.

- gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com expounded:

The best way to kill it is to hit it with Roundup right as it flowers. Then hit it again once more in 4-6 weeks. The following spring any stragglers can be picked off with a third application. This is one of the only plants I'll haul out the chemical guns for.

Reply to
Ann

Reply to
Brian

"Brian" expounded:

It is everywhere around here, hubby and I were just taking a ride over in Scituate and I pointed it out along the road in many places. Fill dirt frequently has roots in it, and so it goes.

Four years? I'd rather be rid of it in two!

Reply to
Ann