My lopsided apple tree

the main stem of my apple tree looks dead but is still growing from a huge branch on the side. I get loads of apples from it but it's practically hanging on the floor and looks a mess. Should I try to prop up these side growing branches or should I prune it all back in autumn.

Reply to
heather001

We lost a good portion of our Granny Smith tree to a hard freeze when it was only a few years old. The roots and trunk were fine, and still supported a large branch that somehow survived the freeze...repeated prunings over the years have encouraged enough growth from the trunk that it now doesn't show any signs of ever being so "lop sided". It's 22 years old and looks like any other healthy apple tree now. We're getting a bumper crop of apples this year too. :)

Sharon

Reply to
Sharon

First things first! The tree must be moved out of the house and into the yard in order to receive adequate sunlight ;)

Reply to
Amos Nomore