My Christmas Cactus Question

I just recieved two gorgeous Christmas cacti and I noticed that some of the blooms were looking wilted. You know where the edges of the petals kind of roll up. Is this because it did not like being moved around or does it probably need a bit of water? Also is it a bad idea to leave the fancy florists paper wrap around the pots? I have very little experience with these although I do know they don't like to be soggy

Shell

Reply to
Shell

Of course you should take the pot out of the fancy gift wrapping.

If the soil is completely dry, water the plant.

The flowers will eventually fade no matter what you do.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Always remove the fancy wrap. The reason for this is that they normally block the pots drain hole. Is the soil dry? Yes? Water. The flowers could be just wilting from naturally dieing.

Reply to
Tom Randy

Thanks for the help. I am going to try and post a picture of it on abpg later today

Shell

Reply to
Shell

Thanks for the help. I am going to try posting a picture of it on abpg later today.

Shell

Reply to
Shell

I don't like my plants wrapped - it blocks the air flow through the dirt and can hurt the roots. I also try never to buy Christmas Cactus that are blooming. The reason being - even at home when I see a bud I don't dare turn the plant as the little buds move themselves toward the sun and are so fragile they snap themselves off. I have several and just water once every week and try not to let totally dry out (but of course they do). Mine actually bloom twice a year - they just got done and they'll do it again yet this year. I don't do anything fancy so actually, I can't believe my luck.

-- Mel

Shell

Reply to
MELINDA KEMPFER

I found that moving the plant after it sets buds will cause the buds to fall off. I'd probably buy a plant in full bloom, just to see what I'd be getting years away. Some Christmas cactus are particular about how and when they bloom, and just changing the room or setting the plant outdoors on the porch for the summer can make a huge difference at bloom time. They like manure teas, fish emulsion, and other organic fertilizers. Inadequate quick drainage is one way to kill them. I have a collection of five kinds, all over 20 years old doing exceptionally well.

Reply to
Phisherman