Mound Plating a tree or shrub

What is a drawback of mound plating a tree or shrub. I kind of like the idea because:
1) get away with less than optimal soil 2) can use this technique in poorly drained soils
The only negatives I came up with are:
1) roots can dry out faster, got to keep the mound well mulched 2) tree not as stable and before the roots get established, the tree could be felled during high winds.
What is "mound plating"??
--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
NJDEP Approved Forester