montaug daisy_ cannot find seeds for this?

Does anyone have a catalog carrying this particular daisy. I have googled with zip results.

Reply to
BetsyB

It's "Montauk", not "Montaug". Try the search again. I got over 900 results.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

While we were on the Cape they advertised them with the spelling I used? Ooops! Thanks much.

Reply to
BetsyB

Montaug is an old spelling, perhaps more accurate in terms of the way the native Americans pronounced it. It's not in common use now. But, there are people who like to correct the whole world. So, around here, everyone calls the Finger Lakes "Seneca Lake", Canandaigua Lake", etc. But, a certain snobby travel book calls them "Lake Seneca", etc. Silly.

Anyway, it's Montauk:

plant you're looking for grows happily around the dunes of Montauk, so they're popular in nurseries in the area.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Strangely MA and NY consider both spelling "correct", though the K ending is more common and on most maps. The other is a colonial hold over.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Since the "K" ending was the only one who turned up 900 results, I stuck with that. I even found ONE who sells the suckers. I will order in the early spring. Many thanks ofr the spelling help.

Reply to
BetsyB

When you're done with all this, get to Montauk for a few days. Gorgeous off season (before Memorial Day, after Labor Day). Makes the cape look like Chuck E Cheese on a bad night full of little sugar-cranked monkeys. Try

Doug Kanter

I'd love to go there - I've heard it's lovely. I hate the Cape even in the dead of winter. Since my parents and sister live there, guess where I get to be all too often.

Cheryl Isaak

It's cheap off season, too. The biggest problem with the place is that you (usually) have to go through the rest of Long Island to get there, unless you're coming from New England and can take a ferry over. That cuts off half the filth.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Well Doug, it's hockey season and it's 5 rinks in 3 days a lot here. Oh the joys of a travel player and the little house league player too.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Take them to Montauk *now*, when the bluefish and striped bass are hitting the beaches. Stick surf casting rods in their hands. They'll never go near team sports again, and you'll get one hell of a dinner out of the deal. :-) Or maybe three dinners. There's nothing like bluefish that went from water to kitchen in less than 2 hours.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Can't - it is a family commitment when you get into hockey. And the adults do enjoy it too!

BUT - oh the thought of fresh bluefish or bass, makes my mouth water. When I was a kid, we spent most of the summer in a camper near Race Point. I had a deal with my Mom. On the nights I hated the planned dinner, if I could catch it and would clean and cook it myself, I could skip the family meal. A few mackerel or a just legal stripper or blue made an excellent meal for one.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak