Michaelmas daisies

My Michaelmas Daisies (Aster Novi-Belgii) have a white powdery substance on them, is this normal or do they have the infamous Michaelmas daisy mite? They are still growing and the new growth has no signs of this white powder. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in adavance.
Liz
to me it sounds more like powdery mildew.......