Meat for Pastys and the like

There's the rub, "tax payer"... those who refuse to work don't pay taxes, therefore should expect no say in the matter of how taxes are spent.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Would you like to limit the right to vote to people above a certain income? Maybe it would also be a good idea to give rich people two or three votes. After all, they pay more taxes, so their opinion should count more.

Reply to
Bruce

It wouldn't be much different from our current system, where we have the best politicians that money can buy.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

That's true enough.

I am all in favour of a form of voter registration in which people would have to pass a test of knowledge. It troubles me that there are so many voters out there who are so incredibly ignorant and/or misinformed.

I had a prime example of that in our last federal election where some lady at the dog park was whining about our former prime minister serving only the rich and gave an example of the Conservatives having introduced tax free savings accounts. According to that twit, it served only the rich because you have to have $200,000 to open one. I would have agreed with her had that been true. However, the fact was that when it started you could only deposit a maximum of $5000 per year, and that was later raised to $5500. In her world, the minimum to start one was 40 times higher than the maximum allowed in the real world where I live.

Reply to
Dave Smith

Then the question becomes "misinformed" by whom? Knowledge imparted by what yard stick? Television news? Your version? Some other version?

OB Food: I'll take my steak medium rare, please.

Jill

Reply to
jmcquown

That could be the sticking point. There is a definite problem with some media sources being badly slanted. The knowing spread false information. As if that wasn't bad enough, a lo of people gravitate to those slanted news sources because they feed them what they want to hear. It is no coincidence that the highest numbers of people who believe that the US found WMDs in Iraq were the Fox news viewers.

Saturday night.... hamburgers.... grilled on the BBQ, with mustard, grainy mustard, sliced onion and tomatoes, with spicy olives, fill pickles, radish, baby carrots and a Pilsner.

Reply to
Dave Smith

The Conservatives who watch Fox News never believed for a minute that there were Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq. That was the excuse they needed to attack Iraq.

I have tried to understand, but I cannot. After 911, we quickly determine that most of the hijackers came from Saudi Arabia. So we attack Iraq?

We find Usama bin Laden hiding on the Campus of the Military College of Pakistan, and what do we do to Pakistan?

The best I can figure is that Bush was listening to some of our "allies" and members of the Military Industrial Complex who convinced him it would be much more profitable to just attack Iraq. How stupid is that?

William

Reply to
William

As Trump said the other night...we should have taken their oil. I agree. Spoils of war and all that.

Reply to
Gary

I would have also taken their women, the young unblemished ones with big bosoms.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

You mean with force? Spoils of war? Don't be ridiculous...that was the way of Genghis Khan. What would you do?...CHRISTIANIZE them? You're talking RAPE and that is just not acceptable in today's world. ====

Reply to
Roy

Are you really so naive to think that's not done in modern times, it was very common in Nam, and required no force, the young girls considered having sex with American soldiers something to be proud of. In the early '60s in Italy and France the tavern wenches would barter their 14 year old daughters to sailors for a couple packs of American smokes. Young girls in Jamaica would hop in the sack with sailors for a bowl of goat's belly soup, and urge the sailor to go for seconds in hopes they got prego with a light skinned child. That's just the way it is, different societies have different values... in many parts of this world sex is simply not so valuable a commodity, in many parts of North Africa sharing one's wife with guests is considered being a gracious host.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Brooklyn1 expressed precisely :

No one wants to share your she-boon with you, Shelly.

Reply to
Dave Norris