Meat for Pastys and the like

Co-Pay? This is Canada! We don't have to worry about such things! Graham

Reply to
graham

Well then save the doctor's time and let some treat somebody else who needs it more. I bet you have a lot of hypocondriacs in Canada ;-)

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Hell yeah.... have "free" insurance and everyone runs to the doctor for every little sniffle. This is why insurance costs so much.

Reply to
Gary

Yep, there are very few uninsured hypochondriacs, on the other hand it's pretty amazing how the body heals itself in many cases when one is uninsured. :)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Every civilised country should have free healthcare, public transport and beer. Few do.

Reply to
Bruce

Definitely free healthcare, that's a sacred cow in Canada and politicians try to monkey with it at their peril, but I also feel guaranteed pensions are good too. Seems now all the major corporations are trying to do away with them, not fair, another way the 1% see to grab more for themselves.

Reply to
lucretiaborgia

I agree about health care, but...it's not free it paid for by taxes and fees.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

In America, as a young person you go to work every week and contribute to the Federal Government, State Government, City Government, Social Security and Medicare.

Somehow, in the infinite wisdom of Congress, nobody ever saw fit to provide a mandate for workers to have health insurance until Obamacare came along. When a Capitalist Pig employs a human being to help make money for his Corporation, that employee will need health care at some point in their life. American Corporations have been getting away with not providing health care for their workers and workers have been letting employers get away with not paying them enough money for health insurance.

Health Insurance premiums need to be withheld from everyones pay just like Social Security and Medicare. The people who go through life without working must be taken care of by the taxpayers.

If we ever get a single payer Medicare System, the 1% will still pay extra for the Doctors to step outside the system to administer their special care. That is the way of Capitalism...the American way. Money talks and shit walks!

William

Reply to
William

Not just the 1%. Maybe the 10%. I believe that employers in the STEM fields (and a few others) would find they have to pay for supplemental medical insurance to attract and retain talented employees.

I found these statistics interesting. The top N% of earners earn at least this much money:

Top 1%: $380,354 Top 5%: $159,619 Top 10%: $113,799 Top 25%: $67,280 Top 50%: $33,048

Here's where I found the info:

They got it from the IRS.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I don't understand what the problem is with single payer. It means everyone has basic health insurance - something all American do NOT have now. Basic is basic! If you want more - you have to pay for it. That's not a hard concept for Americans to grasp. What's hard for them to wrap their minds around is BASIC medical coverage for ALL.

Reply to
sf

The problem with single payer is the SINGLE part. You cannot pay for more, as you cannot be a payer - there is a SINGLE payer.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

come on now Taxed and Spent? You don't believe Doctors would be working "on the side" for those billionaires who wish to employ them?

In the UK, it's happening now. If you don't want to wait in line, you can pay to move yourself ahead in the line. That's Capitalism at it's finest!

William

Reply to
William

I was just told by a Canadian here that this is the reason people come over the border to get medical care in the US.

Sounds like the UK doesn't have SINGLE PAYER.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

So what you are saying is that, for example, is that if a rich man and a poor man both have identical (say) hernias, the rich man should take precedence and the poor man should be left to suffer.

Reply to
graham

I didn't say that.

But if "they" are going to say some procedure is not available, or not available in a timely manner, then I want the option of making it available to me if I can pay for it. Who are THEY to tell me what I cannot have?

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

So in Canada if you feel you must be seen immediately by jumping ahead of other people, buy an air ticket and go elsewhere, you know, somewhere that money makes you more equal.

Reply to
lucretiaborgia

It's disgusting when the quality of the healthcare that you get, depends on how rich you are.

Reply to
Bruce

I think at certain levels (low levels) that is true. But when "they" decide there isn't enough money to provide certain types of healthcare, or to certain groups (older), then they should step out of the way of those that worked hard and saved their money for their choice of expenditures.

This is not a zero sum game.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Yes, if you see healthcare like a commodity that you can either afford or not. Like a new car or a holiday to the Bahamas. But I see healthcare as something everybody's entitled to, whether they're rich or poor. I can't think of many better ways to spend tax payer's money than on good healthcare for everybody.

Reply to
Bruce

Yes, if you see healthcare like a commodity that you can either afford or not. Like a new car or a holiday to the Bahamas. But I see healthcare as something everybody's entitled to, whether they're rich or poor. I can't think of many better ways to spend tax payer's money than on good healthcare for everybody.

=========

What kind of system do you have in Australia and how does it differ from Netherlands?

Reply to
Ophelia