master gardener

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) expounded:
This would be fun if it had a point.

I hgave never once disparged the work of Master Gardeners.
- that

Find the post where I said anything against Master Gardeners. Go ahead. I'll wait.

You are the one who brought up the UMass Extension service. You are the one who brought up marijuana. You are the one who can't stick with a subject. Now do go on. And on. And on. And on. Because you just can't help yourself.
Better to go outside and garden, Ratgirl, it's what you are good at.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:08:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) wrote:

There is a lot more than that, here they have a telephone hotline - the value of the advice varies with the individual. They teach gardening and have demo gardens for juvenile delinquents and the homeless shelter, they help at many local public gardens, they have an annual entry in the San Francisco Flower Show, they have an annual garden tour........lots more I don't know since I am not one but I know a few.
Here they spend 80 hours in classes to qualify and 50 hours a year volunteering.
It's too bad they call themselves Master Gardeners because many are poor/novice gardeners with no clue, most are good enough but inexperienced, a few are truely master gardeners.
I hate to break it to anyone here, but gardening is NOT rocket science. Anyone who enjoys it can learn the basics in one summer of working in his/her garden, and having access to one or two garden reference books - like sunset garden guide, or reader's digest gardening guide, or rodale's encyclopedia of organic gardening. By basics, I'm talking about when the best time is to plant seeds of various flowers and crops, when is the best time to set out tender plants, how to work the soil, how to plant a shrub or tree and how to irrigate it, how to improve the soil if your basic soil is crappy, how to compost. Many other aspects of gardening are opinion, and opinion on them changes with the decade......things like, should insect infestations all be treated, should fruit trees all be pruned yearly, do flowers and perennials need to be deadheaded religiously, stuff like that. Landscaping is another issue entirely - and there are schools of thought about that that also change with the decade or the century. Some aspects of garden maintenance are more difficult - correct pruning, propagation by means other than seeds, grafting, plant disease recognition. In my opinion, mastergardeners are a good resource for beginning gardeners because they are nearly all experienced home gardeners. However, they have little of value to convey to experienced gardeners who can do the research themselves if they have a difficult gardening issue to work out. I think pursuing a mastergardener title is a fine idea for a retiree who loves to garden and has the free time to attend the classes, etc. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has an active life with lots of responsibilities.
wrote

At the time I was working 12 hr swing shift...a little vacation and working around my work schedule, the class was easy to fit in, as was the required service, which was answering questions on the phone at the farm extension service.
What did I get out of it? Knowledge that I was helping people, interesting field trips to go to, meeting people with similar interests, plus gained a little know-how by inter-acting with knowledgeable people....The title and certificate were not the reason I went through the course.

sockiescat wrote:

Neither one of those bio's say anything about them being "master gardeners".

USDA Zone 8
Travis sockiescat wrote:
there are two people who are master gardeners that have their own programs that i find to be both enlightening as well as entertaining. they are
http://tinyurl.com/c5qpy and http://tinyurl.com/cu56g
Neither one of those bio's say anything about them being "master gardeners".
USDA Zone 8

Lots of people are speakers at Master Gardener conferences that are not master gardeners.
Tarrant is on staff at UBC, a garden writer and a TV personality and wouldn't probably even think of being a Master Gardener.
Mark Cullen is a garden writer and TV and radio personality from a family gardening business (Sheridan Nurseries) and President of Greendale Garden Products Ltd. Ontarios largest distributor of garden supplies to the independent garden centre trade and probably wouldn't even think of being a Master Gardener either.
It would be like the Queen applying for proof of UK citizenship. I doubt she would bother.
Stephen Henning wrote:

I wonder if the Queen has a passport? How about GW?

USDA Zone 8
Travis Stephen Henning wrote:
sockiescat snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk wrote:
there is a link for u that i think u might find interesting it is in pdf format so u need acrobat reader to view it. it is about a master gardeners conference. if u notice near the very beginning it mentions that one of the keynote speakers included david tarrant also on page 4 u will notice where it says april 21 "think spring" it mentions there about a welcome back to mark cullen who had spoken at a master gardeners event in 1995. hope this clears things up for u. also if u ever get a chance to watch any programs that they may have please do as u will find them both to be good speakers and very informative. have a great day, sockiescat. here is the link for you :) . http://tinyurl.com/a76qk
Lots of people are speakers at Master Gardener conferences that are not master gardeners.
Tarrant is on staff at UBC, a garden writer and a TV personality and wouldn't probably even think of being a Master Gardener.
Mark Cullen is a garden writer and TV and radio personality from a family gardening business (Sheridan Nurseries) and President of Greendale Garden Products Ltd. Ontarios largest distributor of garden supplies to the independent garden centre trade and probably wouldn't even think of being a Master Gardener either.
It would be like the Queen applying for proof of UK citizenship. I doubt she would bother.
I wonder if the Queen has a passport? How about GW?
USDA Zone 8
sockiescat wrote:

I have seen David Tarrants program called "Spring" on my local PBS station and I used to see him on BCTV when he did that show from the roof top of the studios in Burnaby BC. I enjoyed them both.

USDA Zone 8
When living in Hawaii, I once sold a so called "Master Gardener" some seeds from my I.Canna plants. He wanted seeds from Real Hawaiian plants, which canna are far from.
Now I live in the High Mojave Desert where there is no master gardeners.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Contact your county extension office. The master gardener program allows extension offices to increase their reach using trained volunteers who barter a little volunteer time for training and some cash for course materials. You will have a blast, meet a lot of similarly minded people, learn 3x as much as you expect, and gain access to all manner of hort resources. It's not for everyone, but if it suits your temprement you can have a great time.