Cherry Tree Care

I planted a cherry tree this past spring and I'm wondering about proper care for it. At planting time, I cut it back by a third, forming a nice vase shape. During the following months, one branch shot straight up five feet, the rest showed only modest growth. I'm wondering if I should prune this one branch so some of the tree's energy can go to the rest of the branches?

Also, does a cherry need a fall application of fertilizer or dormant spray or anything to ensure a healthy tree?

Thanks in advance.

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Reply to
dr-solo

Thanks for responding, Ingrid.

Sorry, I failed to mention I'm in Zone 9. Do you think it'd be too late to prune the Wilt Chamberlain branch right now (where we're having unseasonably warm weather (highs in the 70's!)?

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

I have no idea on your zone stuff in the USA, but in the UK you shoul never prune a fruit tree during winter, or even early spring if mor frost is likely. The reason is silver leaf fungus, the spores are about in the col times, any open wound (cut) is an easy entry point for the funga infection. It would be worth some web searching to see if silver leaf is in you area

-- penance

Reply to
penance