Making cider at home

I checked the gravity this afternoon &b this evening. The 2 wild/cultured yeast batches were about 1.40 and the wild yeast about the same. That should be enough sugar to continue the fermentation for a wee while. The wild yeast batch has started bubbling away today quite quickly. I will monitor its progress over the next few days. One jug of wild/cultured yeast has started fermenting again after I pitched in some extra yeast, the other jug has not gotten started yet. The jug of sulphited & cultured yeast has not started fermenting yet but I only yeasted last night. Given the gravity, the problem may have been with the yeast.
I should have checked the gravity on the sunday but only buying a hydrometer on Monday kind of made that difficult. On well. Maybe the 'close enough' rule of thumb is a little bit arbitary eh.
rob

what are your fermenting temperatures?

i hope you bought more than *one* hydrometer. they break very easily & usually exactly when you really *need* one. we have at least 4, 2 in the brewery & 2 in the saphouse (although there may only be one in the saphouse because we broke one again recently...) i'd better do an inventory. sap's runnin'! :) lee <maple beer!>

temperature is roughly room temperature. We have been having shitey muggy weather of around 27-30 but with high humidity. That may be something to do with the yeast being lazy. Who knows. The muggy weather is due to blow away tomorrow onward & become sunny again. Will see if that makes a difference. I the interim I have added some more yeast tonight. If nothing again I will give it a good stir in a day or 2, maybe invert the bottle a few times. Gravity is reading around 140 for all 4 bottles so no lack of sugar. The hydrometer is not duff as it read 1000 in a bottle of tap water.
rob

It could be that you added too much SO2 but a two day delay is no biggie. If it doesn't start in another couple of days, try splashing (aeration) it into a bucket and then back into an un-gassed fermentation vessel. Then wait another couple of days before you panic. Other wise, add small amounts to fermenting batches over a few days.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars

Oh, the hydrometer, it should go to at least -1.5.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars

Check this, Rob.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&td236
Charlie
--
"Cider was, next to water, the most abundant and the cheapest fluid to
be had in New Hampshire, while i lived there, -- often selling for a
"Charlie" wrote in message

yes, thanks Charlie, I had a shufti through that. I have been reading the threads for the past couple weeks after you pointed it out. The cider has boomed this last week following a spell of cooler weather. Amazing the difference humidity made to stalling the fermentation. The airlocks are just starting to slow down. I am planning on laying down another batch this weekend. I have streamlined the process a little and made some improvements to the pressing process so that should go better.
This thread had me pissing myself laughing http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&tT475&hilit=wife+kill+me
Well worth the read. A guys attempt to clean up a home brew spill on some new carpet whilst his wife is away. Some highlights but some bloody funny humour in the thread.
"It sounds to me like a good steam cleaning is in order." "Oh, He's gonna get steam cleaned all right!" "Dude...Are you alive? Did you wife kill you?" "If we don't hear something soon, I guess I'll drive down to Maryland in the spring and look over the brewing equipment at the yard sale she is having!" "Long story short, he had NO IDEA what I was talking about. He wasn't the guy I talked to on the phone. Apparently the dude on the phone wasn't the owner of this fine carpet cleaning establishment, but the dude in my house... yep, he was. To answer the questions, no friends, he did not think it was cool for me to pay him a discounted price for homebrew, and he did not appreciate what his employee had agreed to at all." "Crap. So I ask him how much he wants for this job, and he wants $100. Double crap. Well, I decided that I didn't want to pay that much, and he was none too happy about having to drag his equipment out of my basement after that." "Well I got the first view of your post on that fateful night, and I admit, I snorked a bit at your misfortune... So the following day, as I was bottling multiple batches.Karma came in and gave me a little o this:"

OMG.......thanks for the headsup. Younger son and I laughed our asses off reading this thread. Great humor, some really funny guys and I totally understand their sentiments ;-)
Thanks for making an otherwise dull day full of laughter.
--
Charlie, watching the bubbles :-)

Give me yesterday's Bread, this Day's Flesh, and last Year's Cyder.
"Charlie" wrote in message
Get round to mates place. Heres the bucket. Can't find lid though. Search again. No lid. Shite. Will have to go and see if I can buy one on monday.
juiced about 12 litres of juice. Put in bucket. Sulphited. Put towel across top to cover and will juice more tomorrow. Can comes inside. Jump on freezer. Jumps of freezer into fermenting barrell. Towel soaked with apple juice. Juice on floor. 1o litres left now.
Give me beer on carpet anyday.
rob
am now making tomato sauce. Hope thats turns out better.

sorry, that should read "cat came inside"" not "can came inside"
no, sorry, that should be "*!%*&%#@ cat came inside"
cat? no where to be found, luckily for him.
rob

Oh Lord, sorry mate......your misfortune has been my merriment!!
Company car sucks too. Been there also. Company business, of course, with a side trip.
Many times my "latest project" has caused similar consternation and effups, Glad to see you are already on the road to upgrades and improvements.
You have a cat named "*!%*&%#@ cat" also!
The sumbitch cat that runs this household last summer managed to jump off the fence into a half full bucket of old cooking oil (that Lovey had several times reminded me to get rid of the week prior) and then "*!%*&%#@ cat" ran in the effing house and dripped that shit everywhere.
I had never given a cat a bath before and "*!%*&%#@ cat" had never had one either.
Sigh......whadda ya do. ;-)
Cheers Charlie
"Charlie" wrote in message

Boss "How did you dent the car, George?" George "um, er, making cider, us Boss". Boss "Do you want to keep your job?"

Did I also mention whilst cleaning up last night I stuffed the kitchen whizz. Put the mixing bowl in a hot wash in the dish washer. Bastard think came out warped.
Wife wasn't impressed. On way home from store this morning, having bought replacement, she asked me how many I had stuffed that way. Only 2 I told her. Asked her how many ipods she had broken (2 or 3 is the answer). In as many words got told where to go. Spent morning outside chopping apples. Used new kitchen whizz this afternoon, much better than old one. heaps faster and quieter. Decided buggering old whizz had some advantages.
Tomorrow, go and try and buy bucket for fermenting barrell and stop by panel beater for quote.
Probably about $50 per litre of cider thus far.
rob

Good lord, man........what a rookie move. You've gotta pay for this, you know.

Spent or.....sent?

Ahhhh, nothing like a good whizz.....

Oh shit, this means another talk with the Boss!!

man, you're on a roll with this project. Been there, done that and really getting laughs from your troubles. I suspect this ain't over.
Charlie
"Charlie" wrote in message

laughs? snort.
rob

$500 bucks from one beater. Talk to another one tomorrow.
rob

Food grade of course.
--

Billy
Democrat and Republican Leaders Behind Bars

yes, $9. Mate owes me $9 and the cost of the panel beating.
rob

Damn straight, mate. It was *definitely* his fault you were where you were when you stuck your nose up the ute's arse. Doesn't the bloody bastard realize the immediacy of a man's needs when on roundup for a new project? Small thing like a 4x4 will not get in the way of a mission.
Charlie
"Charlie" wrote in message wrote:

exactly, bastard. Thats showed him.
rob
50 litres of cider now under way. better be nice stuff, or else