Lycopene in tomatoes

Interesting article on new cherry tomato raisin developed in Israel. (who knew there was such a thing?)

3 'graphs:

=================

Eating your vegetables just got a whole lot healthier. An Israeli company has just created a new tasty tomato that is high in natural antioxidants that can help treat and prevent disease.

Naturally bred to include high amounts of the compound lycopene, previously available only as a dietary supplement, the Israeli-developed Lyc-O-Mato brand self-dried cherry tomato raisin will now be available as a food additive.

Lycopene is a nutrient and antioxidant that is naturally occurring in small quantities in vegetables such as tomatoes. It has been suggested that it can help treat cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, and even male infertility. It is also useful in supporting skin health.

================

P.

Reply to
Persephone

This idea is still born as far as I'm concerned until the Palestinians get their land back. I will buy nothing Israeli, although I know many good people live there. That should be enough to derail the group for awhile.

That said, we are talking about "the tomato (Solanum lycopersicum)". This new tomato allows you to get the same nutrition by eating fewer tomatoes? Why would you want to do that?

If they marketers found away to make cardboard taste like tomatoes, I would probably eat it. But no, they have come up with a way to make tomatoes taste like cardboard.

In the mean time, enjoy real, short shelf-life tomatoes, while they are in season.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Uh, oh! So much for our relationship.

Suggestion: Do a little research rather than relying on shrill Arab lies; they are expert at manipulating media and people.

Don't bother to reply, as I will no longer be reading your posts.

P.

[..]
Reply to
Persephone

Jews and Moslems lived together for fifteen hundred years. Then the UN said to the Palestinians, this land is no longer yours. How many of you would let foreigners chase you from your land? In the Nakba, in 1948, Palestinians fled for their lives. They are not allowed to return. Under international law, this is illegal. Israel is in defiance of at least 2 UN resolutions for Israeli withdrawal from land under Israeli "occupation". Resistance to Israeli occupation is termed terrorism. Israelis have F-16 jets and Abrams tanks. Palestinians have baskets with bombs in them. Peace groups in Israel have had hand grenades thrown at them. Yitzhak Rabin, Prime Minister of Israel, was assassinated because he proposed peace, not a just peace, but peace. Rachel Corrie, an American peace activist was run over by an armored Caterpillar tractor that was going to destroy a home with a family inside it. The documentary, "Death in Gaza" (HBO) describes James Miller and Saira Shah attempt to give a balance view of the conflict. Miller was killed by Israeli forces. Israel's offer of peace is what "white" South Africa offered black Africans, apartheid. It wasn't acceptable then. It's not acceptable now.

And, sadly, The Queen of the Underworld, Persephone has shown the same lack of flexibility as the state she promotes.

Reply to
Billy Rose

If only we (UN) in 1948 gave the estranged Jewish population some of Argentina all this would be mute. But the prefix holy means many must die. I always thought North Dakota would suffice and we would some how be vacationing there now and purchasing citrus.

If some one took my land I'd fight especially if the water was taken.

Hope Billy and Persephone work it out.

Meanwhile I've been invited to camp David to work this all out. Ya Right.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Ethnic cleansing aside, it's a shame that Persephone just presented us with advertising copy (see site above). It appears that Israeli advertising is just as misleading as American advertising. The phrase "can help treat and prevent disease" is just the kind of pharmacological representation that the FDA has been fighting with food supplements for years. It sounds good but means nothing and, no proof will be offered. Turns out lycopene is more available when the tomatoes are cooked into a sauce.

See:

of lycopene concentrations found in foods.

See:

Charlie, if your there. I need to work on my green beans a little more. I usually screw things up the first couple of times and the green beans were no exception. I served them with Brazilian black beans and rice (see below), which uses oranges. I thought it would be nice to have orange and lemon flavors on the same plate. I guess I over "lemoned" the beans. The criticism I got was that the "Lovey-poo" couldn't taste the beans. Next time I'll try to mute the lemon by not using any of the zest. I'll get it right eventually.

I only used a couple of oranges for this recipe. It still came out pretty orangey:-) I did use some segments as garnish.

Brazilian-Style Black Beans and Rice

Serving Size : 8 Beans Citrus ham Oranges Raisin Rice

-------- ------------ -------------------------------- 1 Lb Dried Black Beans -- soaked and drained 1 Ham Bone 2 Quarts Water 1 Tbsp Mustard Seed 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano 2 Clove Garlic -- lightly crushed 2 Bay Leaves 2 Tbsps Salt

1/4 cup Raisins 8 Oranges 2 cup Rice -- cooked

Combine the beans, bones, water, mustard seed, oregano, garlic, and oregano in a large pot. Cook uncovered over medium-low heat 3-4 hours or until the beans are soft, stirring occasionally.

Remove the bay leaves and the ham bone. Use a stick blender to puree some of the beans, leaving most of the beans whole.

Remove any meat from the ham bone and add it back to the beans.

Add the raisins.

Let cook again over low heat another 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes or so to prevent sticking.

Wash the oranges carefully and remove the zest in long thin strips. Then peel the oranges and remove the segments. Squeeze the juice from the segmented oranges over the segments. Immediately before serving, top the hot cooked rice with the beans. Sprinkle all the zest over the beans.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

-

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 480 Calories; 4g Fat (7.6% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 92g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 1620mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fruit;

1/2 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Serve the beans and rice with the orange segments.

Reply to
Billy Rose

What the f*ck are you going on about? Did you bother to understand what Billy was saying? I try not to buy anything Chinese....what the hell do you have to say about that?

He said nothing about race, nor religion.....it was a political statement. What.... do we now have to worry about dropping th I-bomb, along with the N-bomb and the J-bomb, maybe the C-bomb or the A-bomb......and all the other-bombs? Yeah, I'm sure the TLA boys just tagged this post, so go ahead, step right up and play.

Perhaps *you* should do a little research on media manipulation and ownership and read more carefully what is posted.

Your response to Billy sucked, along with your hissy-fit. Non-elitist sow, my ass.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Losing your dream is hard Charlie. Persephone is a good person but she is looking for Zero Mostel and finding Moshe Dayan, who would look more comfortable in a panzer tank.

The American government looked the other way when Saddam Hussein was gassing the Kurds. What do you think they would do for the "only democracy" in the middle east? Give them a couple of extra weeks to use cluster weapons, maybe?

Logic won't work with Persephone, she has an emotional connection that will be hard for her to break.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Of course losing your dream is hard. We all need to realize that and accept it and accept the loss of dreams That Persephone is a good person goes without saying. I was surprised by her reaction to your observation.

Going down this road is pointless. This has been discussed ad nauseaum and is accepted as fact by any thinking and caring person.

Unfortunately, so many in power are uncaring, and so many following are unthinking.

Much as we see in the US, eh? Greatest nation on earth, one nation under, which was founded upon genocide and oligarchy.

Ashkenazi,,, Sephardi....how many understand the history, and the animosity and prejudice practiced within, and by, Israel herself?

I don't have a very good handle on the mid-east situation, it is a long an difficult history to follow and understand, but Persephone's reaction was as she condemns.

Fisk can analyze, but Billy cannot? Screw that noise, my friend.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Californican Brown Basmati

Reply to
Billy Rose

You got it my friend, loud and clear. Unfortunately so did Cynthia McKinny and Norman G. Finkelstein and they both got creamed. Beware AIPAC.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Rose,

You are an idiot. I hope you never get to taste any Israeli products. Maybe you should offer the Palestinians a home in your town. Who cares what you think about Israel's policies. You obviously know nothing about the situation over there. Your comments don't belong in a gardening site.

Sherw> >

Reply to
sherwindu

Dang....don't you just hate it when you poke *SEND* without a quick re-read and a bit of thought?

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Here is a plan:

The United States should BUY from Mexico a strip of land along the Mexican / U.S. border about 10 miles wide. The U.S. could then tell Israel that this is their new "Promised Land". The Jews would leave the Middle East. The Jews would have a new group of people to exploit and they would serve as a buffer to help prevent the invasion of the United States by poor Mexicans. Those Jews know how to build fences and walls. The land is mostly hot and dry desert type climate which the Jews are used to. If the Jews insisted on fighting a war, they could go up to Utah and pick on the Mormans. Joe Lieberman could satisfy his political ambitions and run for President of the new "Promised Land". A lot of issues would be solved.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

The "Promised Land" next to "Jesus Land"? Hmmm. I think the thing is this concept of an ethnically pure state. The idea was tried in the first half of the 20th century and got pretty nasty reviews. How about, "you can be in my dream, if I can be in yours". Of course this conflict is no more about religion than it was in Northern Ireland. It is plain ol' greed and desire. I say, go back to the way it was. One country, with life, liberty and, justice for all. But maybe that's just me.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Well, gardeners do nurture and try to bring harmony out of chaos. A gardener of humanity, if you like. Where the harvest is peace and contentment.

A tomato (Israel's Lyc-O-Mato) was the entry point for this thread. Since the original post, I have give two reasons for shunning this particular tomato (1) political (I don't support fascists) and, (2) misrepresentation of Lyc-O-Mato's nutritional value.

I am very pleased to say, we already have Palestinian neighbors, thank you. Christian Arabs who also were chased from their homes by the IDF.

Israel obviously doesn't care about what I think, or even what the UN General Assembly thinks. They (Israel) claim that God is on their side. Hmmm. Where have I heard that before?

Your right, this is not the venue for this discussion but I would be curious to know what factual basis you have for dismissing me as an idiot. I presume you have reasons and that this isn't just another instance of divine revelation or howling at the Moon.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Hey you Nazi putz. I suggest we give the Palestinians a nice homeland in Deutchland.

As far as exploiting the Mexicans, certain American conglomerates do a good job of that already. They don't need Israeli help.

Sherw> Billy Rose wrote:

Reply to
sherwindu

Being pig ignorant ain't kosher. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Reply to
Billy Rose

My apologies to four legged pigs everywhere. What we have here is cranial rectal inversion, plain and simple.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Nobody on this gardening site should really care about your anti-semetic predjudices. You can brand the Israeli's as facists, but I think they are just defending their country.

More t han likely they were fleeing from the civil wars between Palestinians many of whom have as much contempt for Christians as Jews.

Why should they care about the UN which is filled with Moslem countries bent on destroying the Jewish State.

Well, at least they don't think there are 30 virgins waiting for them in heaven if they just blow themselves up on a civilian bus or restaurant.

First of all, you admire Finkelstein, who in my opinion is also an idiot.

Second, you know nothing about the history of the Middle East region, but are ready to believe the bull shit propaganda put out by anti-semites, and other twisted people.

Thirdly, you are upsetting this forum by bringing in your political views for which I particularly don't give a damm.

I think I will run down to the grocery and buy some Jaffa oranges.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu