living fence in the shade???

I'd like to put shrubs of some kind along the back lot line. Preferably ones that have berries for the birds. I have mulberry trees back there and I don't want to cut them down so it is very shady. The only light they might get would be coming from the north. Do elderberry bushes need much light? Maybe I'm just out of luck hoping to grow things back there.
Marilyn in central Ohio
At library or bookstore, borrow/buy/order a book called "Complete Shade Gardener" by George Schenk and Peter Loewer. It's amazing. You'll end up with more than enough ideas for your situation. Matter of fact, you may end up replanting the entire yard. :-) Paperback, 17.95 at Barnes & Noble.

Allview wrote:

fruit that birds like. I suggest you keep them in mind when you ask your local nursery for suggestions.
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Allview wrote:

The Pacific Red Elderberry grows rapidly & does superbly in shady spots. They can grow ten or fifteen feet tall in just a couple years if you let them, but they are also easy to prune to smaller sizes without looking butchered.
-paghat the ratgirl

Is this suitable for central Ohio? M.
Probably not, but there are elderberries native to the east which would probably serve equally well.

Try a raspberry, tolerates shade and birds love them. They can be a little invasive if you have a garden bed nearby.
As suggested earlier, I have ordered the book "Complete Shade Gardener" by George Schenk.
M.

You're gonna have fun with that book!