lilac seeding

FamilyNet Newsgate
Seeing most of the Atlantic caostal areas are receiveing a heavy soaking rain from the Bonnie and Charley storms I will ask again while you more knowlgerble gardener are taking a well earned rest. What is the more productive way of propagating french blue double lilac seeds; green in the same season produced, or let them brown over during the winter and then plant next spring?
Ciao, Ack.
--
SLMR 2.1a It's only a hobby ... only a hobby ... only a

FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
I have never tried germinating immature seed, it may be possible. Growing them from mature seed is pretty easy. Harvest the seed when the pods begin to split. Provide 60 days cold stratification and then sow. Or sow in the fall and seedlings will emerge in late spring/early summer. --beeky
THURSTON ACKERMAN wrote:

FamilyNet Newsgate
Thnak you Beeky
(You share a fine name with my grand daughter !-) I have already planted some immature seeds so we will see. For a bit more edification: would 60 days in the back of my fridge satisfy the "60 days cold stratification" need? Any need for a night in the freezer to mimic my north of Boston. MA suburban environment?
Ciao, Ack.
--
SLMR 2.1a If you're not making waves, you're not rowing the boat.

FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail