lawn winterize

Page 3 of 3
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

what about those in your kill file? how is it you know what they do?

[irrelevant groups snipped] [flup set to a.h.l.g.]
Jim said:

Did you even read the paragraph, that you quoted, below? Pay particular attention to the sentence, "I have no hard-kills set for this group.". Any downscored posters are only marked as read. Simply viewing "All Posts" reveals everyone that posted to the thread.

I've noticed that you re-added misc.rural, Jim. I'm guessing you did it to try and bother me, somehow. You failed, miserably. All that you've proved is that you failed to read (comprehend?) the post to which you replied. ;)
HTH, HAND
--

Eggs

The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

yep.
noting your additional explanation contained here.

so what happened right here? btw - I was being tolerant. now I'm asking.

that was rather observant of you. can you tell me who originally cross posted this thread across the 3 groups?

why would I want to bother you Eggs?

I read it. the proper an accepted term is and always has been 'killfile' and would have by itself made unnecessary the additional explanation you included in 'this' reply of yours..
Eggs, you know how top posting sort of bothers you enough to the point of where you'll actually in your reply state "[top-posting fixed]" at the beginning of your replies to a top poster? doing that habitually as you do projects an image of you as being one who attempts to impose their will upon others. is it your will or is it what's been established as usenet acceptable you desire to have others conform to?

had a marvelous day, thank you.
rate the relevance of this conversational exchange for subject topic matter pertinency towards anyone of the news groups it has been posted in.

Jim said:

I'm not sure I understand your question, sorry. Ann stated that she wasn't the only one that had restored the crossposted groups, when clearly she was.

Thanks. Once in a great while, I have my moments. =)

That would be you. =)

That's one thing that I couldn't figure out.

It's been the accepted practice since the inception of The USENET (and before, actually). It has nothing at all to do with 'imposing my will upon others'. There are crap newsreaders out there [1], that place the cursor at the first line of the reply, before the attribution line, which forces the user to top post (which, they wrongly do, until it is pointed out to them that /very/ few groups accept top-posting as their preferred method of replying), or manually place their reply inline (proper), or at the end of the quoted material (just as bad as top-posting), or they completely bork quotes, line length, etc.
Then there's G2, which is desperately trying to convince it's users that Google Groups is somehow, something that Google came up with. It's simply an interface to The USENET, an archive, and nothing more. It also borks quotes something awful, and it's getting worse with each release. It was good that Google took over the DejaNews archive, but even the archive is borked now. =(

Great to hear it. Hope the weather in your area has turned for the better. It sure has here. Had to get the Carharts out this morning, HEH. =D

I'll leave the groups, and not set a flup. Perhaps a user or two will pickup on proper posting habits. A simple search on GNKSA and/or netiquette would do those that don't understand, a world of good. =)
[1] Such as Forte Agent (and Free Agent), OE, AOL, Opera, XanaNews, G2, etc, none of which has past the GNKSA, and likely never will.
--

Eggs

-A closed mouth gathers no feet.

No, actually, I was mistaken, it wasn't in this thread that someone restored the crossposts you snipped, it was another. Doesn't matter. You want to be in charge, but so do others. Time to get over it.....
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann said:

Deal! =)
Happy gardening, Ann. =)
--

Eggs

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

A lawn?
BR wrote:

several of the erosion control meadow strips on the Farm have evolved over the years into rather nice areas of tall fescue by only mowing them with a gyro [bushhog] mower set to about 6 or 8 inches cutting height. they get mowed 6 or 8 times a year. the fescue is allowed each year to grow tall and produce it's own seed for over or reseeding. the soybean fields contained within the erosion control meadow strips produce large amounts of organic nitrogen which finds it's way into the grass and the annual lime applications of the bean land bleeds over onto these fescue strips. people have seen these and remarked how they wish their lawn looked that good. most lawns in suburbanite land are diminished by the over application of cheap chemical fertilizers. the people who have figured out composting are way ahead in the sporting event known as gardening and their carry over knowledge resulting from their understanding of how there is life in that compost pile enables them to have the better healthier lawns through allowing all living things to work in harmony with one another.

Not a serious suggestion at all: Grind to aspirin-size bits in your food processor. A year later, when that's done, spread it on the lawn.
snip

Good lawn winterize? (pain free lawn)
Bob F wrote:

Bob, it is the knowledge of what is going on in a home grown compost pile and that knowledge of how life in the compose pile allows lawn lovers to keep life in the soil underneath their lawn so as to improve the natural health of the lawn I was speaking of.
traditionally speaking most home compost piles get moved onto the garden in the fall and then cut into the soil. sometimes some of the compost ends up in flower beds or flower pots.
the lawn naturally produces the compose best suited for its needs. they are called grass clippings. mulching mowers do a one or two fold better job of returning these clippings to the lawn than do side discharge mowers. the concept itself works best when the lawn is cut on a frequent and regular schedule meaning we are reducing the amount of grass being removed by the mowing process. infrequent mowing will generate more clippings than the lawn can handle and produce the result of thatch build up which in and of itself procreates a host of other devastating problems for the lawn. people who are not willing to mow twice a week instead of once a week will usually receive no great benefit from a mulching mower.
as for attempting to apply traditional homemade compost to a lawn? my vision of that process appears to be a costly one as a result of the drying, grinding and more grinding in order to obtain a dry granular product with consistencies favorable for broadcast spreaders.
best, Jim

over
Well Bob, you take a shovel and sling it all over an area. Then, you take a leaf rake and rake it in. Or, you could dump a pile in an area and use a bow rake to rake it out, then turn it over, tines up, to work it in.

compost
take
better
Wuss... Okay, Google> John Deere> Loader> Manure Spreader

You scoop up a shovelfull and fling it. With a bit of practice you can get pretty controlled flings- my husband is very good at it. He hand topdressed 20,000 sq ft of lawn this way just last month.
--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Yep. It doesn't take a lot of practice to spread it pretty evenly and we are not talking "exactly even" here anyhow, just a generaly even cover with no piles or obvious bare spots gets it.
A good scoopshovel or big flat shovel is the best tool.
Harry K

Don't know who "we" is. Believe the lawn concept was borrowed from England. England population in general copied that from its royalty as matter of appearances, mostly superficial. That still hasn't changed. Dave

Right, and we continually try and get the stuff to grow and stay green in situations where it simply can't do that without ridiculous levels of life support.

As testified by the dissolved granular fertilizer runoff from my front yard to my gravel driveway. Roundup ain't doing the trick for more than a couple of months in the gravel drive. Nothing grew in that compacted gravel/red clay roadbase until I seeded front lawn in and fertilized. Dave