Lantana and Plumbago

I bought some cherry red lantana last year and planted it. It was really beautiful and the butterflies loved it. Now I'm having doubts as to whether it will come out again this Spring or Summer, or did the Winter temperatures kill it? It just looks like a bunch of dead sticks to me right now. Will new growth come out on the old wood, or do I need to cut it to the ground...or just buy more and start over? Same question about my Plumbago...does it come back every year?

Thanks! Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

Angie,

You don't state what Zone you are in so I can olny speculate.

Lantana is hardy only to Zone 9, rarely Zone 8 (with lots of mulch), what you describe sounds more like a winter kill to me. I grow them as container plants in my Zone 5a gardens and carry them over in my basement light garden each year. In the Spring, after the last frost date they go back outside and I prune them back rather severly. New growth appears within a few days and the plants are putting on a show of bloom in about a month.

I prune the more robust growers after each bloom cycle and root the better pieces in moist potting mix. I keep the mix moist until new growth is evident and then I allow it to dry out in between waterings.

The only draw-back to wintering them indoors is that they are magnets for "White Flies".

I've never grown Plumbago, so can't help you there. If you're talking about False Indigo, which is a common name for it, I believe it will come back, you'll know in a few weeks. Of course, knowing what Zone you are in would help a whole lot!

Hemma

Reply to
Hemmaholic

Most of the dead lantana sticks will need to be removed. I cut mine back during winter, some wait until the plant sends out shoots so they can see what is dead and what is dormant.

I have a Dallas Red and another red of unknown variety of lantana, but both are a bit slow coming out in the spring for me in Zone 8. (Middle Georgia) If the red doesn't come back try replacing it with Miss Huff, but be warned mine grows about 8 to 10 feet every year and cutting back the brush in the spring can be a chore. The butterflies won't mind the difference in color.

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal

BEWARE of bringing lantana inside the house, for it (99 times outta 100) will bring whitefly with it...not only killing the lantana, eventually, but also attacking other plants it has a liking for!!!

i DO know plumbago and i've grown it in zone 5a with no problem whatsoever. of course the leaves come out first but when those little blue flowers come through.....oh!! what a dream. i used it on sandstone steps leading down from my (ahem) waterfall....it was great. be careful of growing it near ivy, though, cuz the ivy is voracious!! and plumbago is somewhat timid. no virginia creeper, either.

"false indigo" is Baptista something something...australinalis, i think. nothing do to with Plumbago whatsoever.

good luck, angel, and most of all......HAVE FUN!!!!

Reply to
SKYlark

First off, what zone are you in?

Reply to